LegacyGT.com

Driveshaft noise after replacement

So I replaced my decrepit original driveshaft with a brand new oem one, but after I installed it, there's a faint screeching noise coming from it that almost sounds as though something is rubbing on it. I double checked and it is free and clear of anything that could rub on it and all the nuts/bolts are torqued properly. Could it be the carrier bearing rubber needing grease or time to break in? I'm about to just take it out and reinstall it in case something is somehow misaligned.

Yeah that's what I figured. It got a little better after I installed and reinstalled it, but it's still there.

I took the heat shield off, so yeah definitely not rubbing on that haha

I'm thinking my car may be a 2004 production year car, meaning I would be screwed with this driveshaft (5EAT) that the dealership told me was good for my VIN. Gonna pull it out tomorrow and compare to the original. Should've done that before, but oh well too late now. Need to verify with SOA, since I'm missing the tag in the door with the production date. Hopefully the dealer will take the part back if it's wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

"the dealership told me was good for my VIN"

Tell SOA that.

My build date is May 2004 for my 05 GT wagon. I bought it late June 2004.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where anyone with a 5eat had issues with an oem replacement shaft (p/n 27111AG06A) besides the price, which I found was the same as a custom aftermarket option. I called SOA and they couldn't tell me about the pre May 2005 issue (maybe it was just who I was talking to) and called three local dealers all confirming the same part for the replacement shaft.

I compared them side by side and they are slightly different around the carrier bearing on the shaft itself, but I am assuming it's the supercession from the original. Both are 58-1/2" long as well. I'll probably call up a local subie shop for there input and maybe have them take a look. Just had kid #2 so my limited time just became more limited haha

20181012_132248.thumb.jpg.b0039bad96514e534bd1396d3c7938cb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
So partial update on this: I couldn't figure out why the new OEM driveshaft was making a screeching noise so I returned it to the dealership. Before I replaced the original driveshaft, I noticed the u joints where sticking in some places, so I doused them with Liquid Wrench lubricating oil and really worked it into the joints. Haven't heard a peep out of it in the last three weeks so I'm guessing the joints might have just been gunked up or something. I still plan on replacing it, but am deciding to go with a one-piece from DSS. It's a four week lead time so I'll be getting it on order soon just to have in case the driveshaft starts making noises again.

Archived