LegacyGT.com

Cheaest way to get back keyless entry 2010 Legacy

Hi 2010 Legacy.

Only have grey valet key with no buttons...no fobs.

When I lock the doors from the inside and hold the handle and close the door. The parking lights flash once as if setting the alarm.

Then when the door is unlocked the alarm goes off until key goes into ignition.

2 questions.

Is there a way to lock and unlock without triggering alarm?

Secondly whats the cheapest way to get 1 or 2 fobs?

Ebay blank keyfob with key? Are they self program or dealer required?

Or can i do like an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry system to the car?

Thanks!!!!

This will help you to get the fobs working on your own (section titled Programming remote).

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless2010.html

Understand, getting the fobs working is only half the issue, the immobilizer chip in the key still needs to be programmed to the car. If it was me I would check with online dealer parts departments to price out the precut keys. Barring that an automotive locksmith should be able to at least cut the keys by vin, I haven't heard of any that can program the immobilizer yet.

When exiting lock the doors electronically. Then unlock the drivers door manually and re-lock it manually from the inside. Exit and shut the door. Shouldn’t set alarm. Just had to do this while awaiting fob battery delivery.

I think what you mean is, with the key in the ignition and doors closed use the button to lock the doors, then shut off the car, unlock your door manually, exit the car then lock the door manually. I am pretty sure using the door lock button in any case where the key is out will cause the alarm to set after 30 sec.

If your car beeps and flashes lights when you close the door the alarm is going to arm.

You could also buy a fob key, program the fob yourself to operate the locks and use that along with your valet key. Then when you have the funds you could have the fob key cut and immobilizer programmed.

I see new Subaru keys on eBay for $70 and 3rd party keys for $40.

Wow thanks for all the replies.

Amazon has a cheap keyless entry system for 10 shipped:

https://www.amazon.com/YueYueZou-Universal-Keyless-Entry-System/dp/B01F2SWX2C/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=keyless+entry+car&qid=1568142760&s=gateway&sr=8-14

That should work with the Subie system right?

Think that would disengage/engage the alarm since it's just locking and unlocking?

Any clue how hard it would be to install?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/YueYueZou-Universal-Keyless-Entry-System/dp/B01F2SWX2C/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=keyless+entry+car&qid=1568142760&s=gateway&sr=8-14

Think that would disengage/engage the alarm since it's just locking and unlocking?

Thanks!

No, it would merely use the power door lock circuit to remotely lock/unlock the vehicle. Also setting off the alarm, just like your key does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Understand, getting the fobs working is only half the issue, the immobilizer chip in the key still needs to be programmed to the car. If it was me I would check with online dealer parts departments to price out the precut keys. Barring that an automotive locksmith should be able to at least cut the keys by vin, I haven't heard of any that can program the immobilizer yet.

When I did my cluster swap it was actually cheaper to have the dealer program the keys... the locksmith quoted me $125 and the dealer was like $70...

When I did my cluster swap it was actually cheaper to have the dealer program the keys... the locksmith quoted me $125 and the dealer was like $70...

Haha usually it's the opposite, dealer charges more than a locksmith. Sometimes it may actually be better to go to a dealer lol.

Haha usually it's the opposite, dealer charges more than a locksmith. Sometimes it may actually be better to go to a dealer lol.

the reason it was cheaper

When I pulled up to the dealer i asked them where they wanted to do the key programming and parked the car there and then remove old and install new cluster. I drove it to the dealer with one screw holding in the old cluster in :p so they only charge 30 minutes since I already had all 3 keys and did the R&R

Yeah we get lucky with the dealer sometimes.

When both my remotes stopped working I tried to find a diy solution to it but couldnt. I bit the bullet and went to the dealer.

Guys there were saying they see it all the time and go up to the parts guy. I go there and he asks for my key, whips out a soldering iron from under his desk, opens it up and solders the broken connection. No charge. I brought my other key to him, same thing!

I just slipped him some cash for his trouble.

Thanks!

I would be pretty reluctant to splice in a $10 electronics box into the car... I'd go with picking up a used key of eBay, then program the electronic part to work with your car (you can do that yourself) - you can take the keyfob apart and remove the key (since it won't go to your car) and it will be a little smaller.

I checked on eBay and here's a key for an '11 that would work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-2011-Subaru-Legacy-Remote-Head-Key-Fob-OEM/192920706377?hash=item2ceaf85d49:g:yDAAAOSwWfpc4Er4

the reason it was cheaper

When I pulled up to the dealer i asked them where they wanted to do the key programming and parked the car there and then remove old and install new cluster. I drove it to the dealer with one screw holding in the old cluster in :p so they only charge 30 minutes since I already had all 3 keys and did the R&R

Haha that's genius. Less time for them is less money for you!