LegacyGT.com

Unplugged wire ? & squeaking noise in glove box area.

1. Does anyone know what this unplugged wire is for? (1st pic,) 2nd pic is showing general location.

Was in the process of checking my air con filter behind the glove box and I noticed that wire unplugged

I do have an afr gauge that works and the wiring goes through the glove box , not sure if its related and they disconnected that plug for some reason.

2. Also recently I've been noticing a squeaking sound coming from the glove box area. It's sounds like a squeaky pulley or something. Not a constant squeak but a squeak every 0.5 seconds or so.

It's random , does not always happen, but more and more frequently. Any ideas?

c785133fedf4b2b90e23422366f1ce55.jpg560895793dd043b8172aa80631229373.jpg

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

Edited by Libacy GT

Does it squeak even with the AC off? Maybe the AC blower fan?

EDIT: maybe it's noisy because the steering column is missing? :p

Yes even with AC off. Actually have not turned on AC for months.

Has to be some type of pulley around the glove box side. Hmm.

Lol. This is an AUS Liberty GT. Steering on the right [emoji23]

Back to front and front to back. Upside down and downside up. This is Australia.

Edited by Libacy GT

So at least we know it's not the steering column then. :lol:

Was your glovebox light working? That plug may be for that.

Those are hefty wires behind the glovebox, they may be rubbing against it causing squeaks?

Nothing looks obviously squeaky there. Maybe you can run the car like that and see if the squeaks are gone. If not, it may be easier to pinpoint with less bits in the way.

does the car have a switch to disable/enable the ability to open the trunk? On USDM cars, the switch is on the left side of the glovebox, and has a two pin connector that looks like the one you took a picture of.

does the car have a switch to disable/enable the ability to open the trunk? On USDM cars, the switch is on the left side of the glovebox, and has a two pin connector that looks like the one you took a picture of.
No switch on my car. I can only open the trunk by physically opening it. I have the wagon. It might just be what your talking about. But why would they have wired everything in if they didn't need it for the wagon.

So at least we know it's not the steering column then. [emoji38]

Was your glovebox light working? That plug may be for that.

Those are hefty wires behind the glovebox, they may be rubbing against it causing squeaks?

Nothing looks obviously squeaky there. Maybe you can run the car like that and see if the squeaks are gone. If not, it may be easier to pinpoint with less bits in the way.

I don't even have a glove box light. I just checked. Can't see a light inside.

Yeh those wires are for the AfR gauge that I just leave inside the glove box. Yeh i will take everything off again and drive and see if i can pin point the sound.

Edited by Libacy GT

I don't even have a glove box light. I just checked. Can't see a light inside.

Yeh those wires are for the AfR gauge that I just leave inside the glove box. Yeh i will take everything off again and drive and see if i can pin point the sound.

Gotcha, good luck!

Still can't figure it out. Happens if I'm driving or stopped randomly.

Do you know how I can upload an audio recording?

You probably need to upload the clip to youtube, and then link it in this Thread.

Still can't figure it out. Happens if I'm driving or stopped randomly.

Do you know how I can upload an audio recording?

Youtube as mentioned, or Imgur too I think.

Have you driven the car without the glovebox and panels installed?

I have the same sound coming from that area. Also ADM liberty, at first I thought I heard a mouse haha. Not sure what it is.
Haha that's exactly it. Or a bird chirping. At one point I was like there is a dying bird in there lol

Youtube as mentioned, or Imgur too I think.

Have you driven the car without the glovebox and panels installed?

I don't need to drive to hear the sound.

So I actually opened it all up again while the sound was happening. It is definitely from the glove box area. I cant really see much going on. But I saw this black thing that said "denso" on it which was just to the right of the air conditioning fan, and I put some pressure on it and the noise stopped lol. BUT I didn't get a chance to confirm because right at that point I had to turn off my car and attend to something, and also as the noise comes and goes it could have been a coincidence.

But I will confirm in a few hours when I can check it out again.

Edited by Libacy GT

I don't need to drive to hear the sound.

So I actually opened it all up again while the sound was happening. It is definitely from the glove box area. I cant really see much going on. But I saw this black thing that said "denso" on it, and I put some pressure on it and the noise stopped lol. BUT I didn't get a chance to confirm because right at that point I had to turn off my car and attend to something, and also as the noise comes and goes it could have been a coincidence.

But I will confirm in a few hours when I can check it out again.

I really hope the noise went away for you :rolleyes:

Edited by Alexmed2002

I wonder if it could be the glove box dampener spring...
You mean that thing that slows down the glove box when you open it?

No it's not that because noise was happening even with glove box fully detached from the dampner.

You mean that thing that slows down the glove box when you open it?

No it's not that because noise was happening even with glove box fully detached from the dampner.

Ya it was just a thought. When I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the glovebox after I changed the cabin air filter, it turned out to be the sunglasses holder lmao

Ya it was just a thought. When I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from the glovebox after I changed the cabin air filter, it turned out to be the sunglasses holder lmao
Yeh these subies have all sorts of cabin noises. Especially as I have hardened engine mounts and built engine. It really exagerates the sounds.

Well. I cant explain it but the noise is gone.

All I did was push that black thing next to the air condition filter box and noise seems to be gone. Don't know how or why.

I'll find out what that part actually is.

Denso thingy right on the AC evaporator housing? I would guess its the blower motor fan speed resistor. But it doesnt have anything that squeaks. Maybe it was loose?
Was all dark inside Couldnt make anything out other then some black unit on the right of the blower fan (white box that air con filter sits in)

Applied pressure on it and squeak stopped.

Next is to diagnose rear knock when I'm turning either left it right on some bumps.

No switch on my car. I can only open the trunk by physically opening it. I have the wagon. It might just be what your talking about. But why would they have wired everything in if they didn't need it for the wagon.

Same reason the sedans have unused rear window washer pump wiring by the washer bottle in the engine compartment...so Subaru only has to make and stock one wiring harness for multiple body styles.

Same reason the sedans have unused rear window washer pump wiring by the washer bottle in the engine compartment...so Subaru only has to make and stock one wiring harness for multiple body styles.

Huh, I never realized they did that. Must save them tons of money!