LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

I dont think so. You are maybe thinking of the 04 STI 5x100 wheel bolt pattern on the hubs?

The spec B axels are made to fit the R180 like the STI axels but the other end fits the legacy hub.

STI axels fit the STI hub which I think is different.

Anyone else know anymore or if I am wrong?

I haven't actually tried STI axles myself but I'm pretty sure the outboard ends won't fit, and they'll be too short. STI axles from an 08+ would probably be the right length, but I doubt they'd fit our hubs, but I haven't tried those either.

ive been reading through this very vague thread. i have a complete 07 sti drivetrain from my parted out sti and i have an automatic 05 lgt that i want to swap the drive train over.

my question to people who have done this before is. whats the situation with the brakes and carrier hubs. i wanted to know the hub diameters so see if i can pull the sti hubs out of the knuckles and install it into the legacy knuckles and retain the stock sti axles and convert over to 5x114.3, wheel pattern. there are much mix reviews of this and if not i can keep the 5x100 pattern and hybrid the axles to accommodate.

i know going from automatic to manual is hard. bc of BIU. ECM and etc automatic controllers but thats a different story. i will do a full conversion to manual. and hopefully have some answers for guys out there,.

after i posted this i read through and i decided its not worth the effort. keeping it auto. and saving my money where it should be. im new to legacys but not to subarus. to many variances in impreza to legacy lines.. wish it was as easy as an impreza :(. got to keep it a daily then

If anyone can confirm this it would help because im looking at buying an 04 sti tranny and want to see if i have to find spec b rear axles or could use his he is selling with the tranny.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/jfg22557/Screenshot2012-09-03at41244AM.png

^ You can thank me later for my insomnia driven posting:lol:, oh... and this great inexpensive resource for specB rear axles too:D. Those of you who know will recognize where that screenshot came from.

But, you could always pickup a set of OEM's for around $600 from your local stealership if you dont prefer reman's.

I haven't actually tried STI axles myself but I'm pretty sure the outboard ends won't fit, and they'll be too short. STI axles from an 08+ would probably be the right length, but I doubt they'd fit our hubs, but I haven't tried those either.

Believe you are correct sir, length very well maybe sufficient but outboard splines are of the wrong count for our hubs.

...neeeed sleeeep:spin:

Will a 2010 lgt 6spd swap into my 08 lgt?

You don't want this, and converting to shift by cable would be both a pain in the ass and a blasphemy.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

any feedback in relation to my predicament?

I'm guessing it's actually coming from your diff shifting on its mounts. My car has some clunking from that, which went away after snugging it up... But it came back later so I'm not sure how to fix it for good.

driving today, ive narrowed it down to the clicking/popping in 1st and 2nd predominately but on occasion i get it going into 3rd too. but 99.9% never get it in any higher gears. could it be the torque from the lower gears shifting the trans/diffs and the mounts are making the noise? my fear is that if i dont address this soon im going to drop the trans completely

I got a small clunk from the rear diff after going all poly back there. If I'm smoother with the clutch I don't hear it often.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Anyone swapped the 6 Speed in the 08 Spec B to a STI 6 speed. I am looking at doing this swap. From the list the 06 and up is the direct replacement but would like your opinion. Also not having the speed sensor on the transmission affect if I pick up a 06 if that works for my application.

Anyone swapped the 6 Speed in the 08 Spec B to a STI 6 speed. I am looking at doing this swap. From the list the 06 and up is the direct replacement but would like your opinion. Also not having the speed sensor on the transmission affect if I pick up a 06 if that works for my application.

i cant really answer your question but maybe you could answer a few of mine... why? just for dccd? if thats the case it would be cheaper to just swap center diff and find a dccd. almost the same tranny...

Its the 08 that doesn't have the speed sensor I believe. Yours doesnt have it either as it uses the wheel speed sensor for speedo. So 08 would be straight swap, 06-07 would have the speedo gear and sensor but would be fine with it disconnected.

Should be an easy swap though.

i cant really answer your question but maybe you could answer a few of mine... why? just for dccd? if thats the case it would be cheaper to just swap center diff and find a dccd. almost the same tranny...

The spec B has better gear ratios too - 6th is faster and all of them are more evenly spaced.

If you can swap a DCCD into the spec B trans that would be better IMO.

you need an aftermarket DCCD controller. I ran the DCCDPro unit. I actually buck like a 4x4 truck turning with it in manual mode full forward. also gets you 90% if power to the rear wheels when you turn the dial the other direction...

^ I agree. I would add the front LSD and the DCCD to the spec b tranny. That would be nice! I think someone posted in one of the threads that it wouldnt be too hard to add the center diff and the DCCD controller to the spec b tranny.

The LDS front would be a little more involved but could be done as well.