LegacyGT.com

Burning oil

I just read that it is common to have to add motor oil between oil changes.

After checking the level in my car, with 1000 miles since the last change. Sure enough, it was a little low..less than a pint.

Quick question: Can I add some Lucas oil treatment to maybe slow it down? Or is that not recommended?

Keep in mind that the dipsticks in these cars aren't the easiest to read, unless something's changed between my 13 Impreza and your 14 Legacy. The reading will depend on the oil temperature, how long the car's been sitting, the manner in which you dipped and pulled out the dipstick, what you had for breakfast that morning, etc. I've had a dipstick read half a quart low, added a half quart and the next time I checked it read a half quart high. That said, all cars do start to burn oil on a long enough timescale, and Subarus may start sooner than most. Not a bad idea to check the oil every time you get gas to at least try and establish some trend, or catch gross changes in oil level.

On the topic of thickeners/additives:

My wife has an 01 Corolla that burns a quart of oil every 300-500 miles. She also drives that car 800 miles round trip to see family multiple times a year, because Toyota. We tried an oil thickener recommended by our local mom and pop parts store just to see what effect it would have, and it did slow down the consumption to the point where she only needed to add a quart for that entire trip. On the flip side, the motor made some really sketchy noises during the first few seconds of cold starts in winter, presumably due to the high viscosity when cold.

I'd use additive in a throwaway car that already burns a ton of oil, because why not. If it's less than a quart like you said, I'd just add more oil.

I just read that it is common to have to add motor oil between oil changes.

After checking the level in my car, with 1000 miles since the last change. Sure enough, it was a little low..less than a pint.

Quick question: Can I add some Lucas oil treatment to maybe slow it down? Or is that not recommended?

Is your Legacy a 6MT? Does it have under 100k miles?

I'm new to Subaru. The car currently has 132,000 on it. It's a 2014.

Not really sure what 6MT is.

As mentioned MT is manual transmission. I was trying to figure out if you engine was still under warranty for oil burning issue, which it isn't.

As mentioned MT is manual transmission. I was trying to figure out if you engine was still under warranty for oil burning issue, which it isn't.

No, it’s an automatic cvt transmission

My wife has an 01 Corolla that burns a quart of oil every 300-500 miles. She also drives that car 800 miles round trip to see family multiple times a year, because Toyota. We tried an oil thickener recommended by our local mom and pop parts store just to see what effect it would have, and it did slow down the consumption to the point where she only needed to add a quart for that entire trip. On the flip side, the motor made some really sketchy noises during the first few seconds of cold starts in winter, presumably due to the high viscosity when cold.

I am sure as you know may know those engine are oil burners. They use low tension oil rings and many them burned oil even when relatively new. I had a 2002 which is when they fixed the issue (and the rated EPA fuel economy drop 2mpg). My car sounded horrible on cold days, I use the factory specified weight (I think 5w30) synthetic oil. I bought the car with 50k miles and sold it with 135k.

I am sure as you know may know those engine are oil burners. They use low tension oil rings and many them burned oil even when relatively new. I had a 2002 which is when they fixed the issue (and the rated EPA fuel economy drop 2mpg). My car sounded horrible on cold days, I use the factory specified weight (I think 5w30) synthetic oil. I bought the car with 50k miles and sold it with 135k.
My dad has a 99 prizm with the oil burning issue. Runs great, just burns oil.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had this issue with my 2014 Legacy for a while. It would burn about a quart every 1,000 miles or so and the oil light would come on, I ended up taking the car to the dealership and told them about the problem and they managed to fix it. The guy told me it was a pcv valve problem which was weird because the car was still relatively new at the time (I think it had about 20k miles on it) but since then I haven't had the oil light come on again. Not sure if that really helps...

Give it a try, it's only like a $13 part.

Yeah I've replaced (along with a bunch of things) on my GT, so def worth a cheap fix. I have to do brakes/rotors this weekend as last weekend I swapped an axle, pulled apart and cleaned a noisy caliper on my GT.

The fun never ends!

Yeah I've replaced (along with a bunch of things) on my GT, so def worth a cheap fix. I have to do brakes/rotors this weekend as last weekend I swapped an axle, pulled apart and cleaned a noisy caliper on my GT.

The fun never ends!

Yeah let me know if it works for you.

Guess I need to check my pcv on my '13 3.6, it loves oil.

Yes, do this. I changed mine around 70k or so and I was burning half as much oil afterwards. I almost thought I needed a new shortblock. Now I'm going through about half a quart every 2500 miles. The burning issue started way back at 50k though and progressively got worse.

Archived