LegacyGT.com

Subary Legacy 4th Gen Coilovers from Raceland: Do they work on Wagons?

JDMTukundo

Racelands are garbage.

Buy a set of Epics and KYBs for around the same price, you'll handle 598470245723890720943672 times better, ride better than that, and it'll lower the car.

I could suck start a snow blower.

• 4 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Raceland coils for 05-09 Legacy GT have nearly 150 lb/in increase in the spring rates from the stock spring. Increased spring rates=less body roll and improved handling?

OEM rates

F-196 lb/inch; R-308 lb/inch

Raceland rates

F-345 lb/inch; R-455lb/inch

Oem rates obtained from this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/stock-spring-rates-question-37709.html

Spring rates aren't the only factor in handling. Compression and rebound are equally if not more important, and a 400 dollar set of coilovers isn't going to offer a high-quality experience.

I've been in cars with racelands. They all rode like shit.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Spring rates aren't the only factor in handling. Compression and rebound are equally if not more important, and a 400 dollar set of coilovers isn't going to offer a high-quality experience.

I've been in cars with racelands. They all rode like shit.

When you say they ride horrible, what are the characteristics you're talking about? Are they bouncy? Too stiff?

I ask because I am interested in them as well. I don't have the money for $1000 coils, yet I want ride height adjustabilty. From what I've heard from reviews and such, is they aren't near as bad as people set them out to be, especially for the price. Their lifetime warranty on coilover parts makes them even more tempting. Unless its all too good to be true.

stiff/bouncy ride. with severely over or under-damped shocks which fade are are not properly balanced or properly matched to the springs. they are nothing more that a sh1t shock with a threaded spring perch to adjust height.

would go out and buy a $20 shock? no. but thats what you get with a set of $400 coilovers. how good can ther really be at $100 a corner with springs included when koni cant even sell a shock for that little.

stiff/bouncy ride. with severely over or under-damped shocks which fade are are not properly balanced or properly matched to the springs. they are nothing more that a sh1t shock with a threaded spring perch to adjust height.

would go out and buy a $20 shock? no. but thats what you get with a set of $400 coilovers. how good can ther really be at $100 a corner with springs included when koni cant even sell a shock for that little.

So would I be better off using Megan Racing Street coils? Really my only other option. I got them used free from a friend, and both front struts will have to be replaced for a total of $600-750. This is why the racelands appeal to me. They come with a lifetime warranty that replaces all defective items including blown shocks, and since I daily my car this will obviously become an issue. So:

$465 for an adjustable coilover with lifetime warranty'd replacement parts

or

$600-750 for two new front strut assemblies completing the MR set, when the rear shocks will eventually need replacing too at a cost of $270 for both.

Why do you want ride height adjustability?

This will be the third year in a row I've owned a legacy at stock ride height. I love Legacies but the gross amount of stock wheel gap up front is something that been getting to me for a while. Aftermarket struts + springs do lower the car sometimes, but unpredictable and vary from brand to brand. Not only do i not want to invest money in something just to be dissatisfied with how it looks, I don't have the money for it either.

So would I be better off using Megan Racing Street coils? Really my only other option. I got them used free from a friend, and both front struts will have to be replaced for a total of $600-750. This is why the racelands appeal to me. They come with a lifetime warranty that replaces all defective items including blown shocks, and since I daily my car this will obviously become an issue. So:

$465 for an adjustable coilover with lifetime warranty'd replacement parts

or

$600-750 for two new front strut assemblies completing the MR set, when the rear shocks will eventually need replacing too at a cost of $270 for both.

megan is garbage too. same with ISC or BCBR.

lifetime replacement on garbage is still garbage.

any coilover set under $2K is garbage, honestly. Ive made my opinions regarding coilovers very well known and backed them up with good reasoning. you wanna put crap parts in your car, you go right ahead. just make sure you lower your standards, alot.

^This.

If you have $1,000 to spend, you buy springs and good shocks, not coilovers. If you have $500 to spend, your best bet will be to find SpecB Bilsteins or similar. Literally the ONLY time I would advise someone to put any of the cheap coilovers on their car is if they wanna slam it just for shows and meets, and don't actually plan on driving it. When you dump these cars they ride like shit anyway, so no sense in ruining a great coilover in the process.

If they can replace all worn parts in a $400 coilover set for your lifetime, that says a lot about the cost and quality of parts they're using. They know they are garbage, won't last long, and that you won't be using them long enough to really need THAT many replacement parts. Cheap coilovers are the one mod IMO that can completely ruin a car you actually plan on driving.

Another thing to consider, stiffer rates do not automatically provide better handling by any means. Stiffer is not always better, compliance = grip.

The thing that really improves handling capabilities of a car is proper shock valving, which is NOT something you are going to get on any sub-$2,000 coilover set.

• 4 weeks later...

I will just say that my koni + rallitek spring combo did wonders for the handling of my LGT. At about 1 inch of drop, the car definitely looks better too, but not slammed (I didn't really want to go too low anyways). I was able to fine tune the dampening to get the suspension feel just right. Took my car up to Harriman State Park in NY last weekend, and threw the car around in the turns...felt awesome (riding on Michelin PSS tires too) I've been in cars with cheap-o coilover setups, they just don't compare. Still an ~$800 setup however.

At the end of the day, cheaping out on suspension upgrades doesn't really get you anywhere if you want real performance.

Archived