LegacyGT.com

Cracked Windshield - temp fix?

gimpydingo

'13 3.6R developed a crack from a rock on the freeway. 2nd subby window to get cracked, strangely my 07 LGT is pitted, but no cracks.

The crack is a 90 degree, from the bottom of the window to about 6 inches up and another 4 - 6 inches to the side. Going to file a claim with CalTrans, but in the meantime is there anything I can do/use to stop/reduce it from cracking further until I can get it replaced?

Yeah yeah. I'll be checking with my insurance any way. Last time I did (years and year ago) the deductible was high on the windshield for some reason so I just ended up paying for it. I will get it fixed much sooner than later, but wanted a fix in the meantime to stop the crack from spreading.

There's no way to stop is from spreading. The guys that do the chip repairs won't do a repair on anything that is starting to crack that's longer than about an inch. The last 2 windshields I had done, in the last 10 years, only cost my about $50, insurance covered the rest.

• 4 weeks later...
You can try RainX Fix a Windshield. It might give a temporary fix.

Interesting. I'll check that out. Sucks that all the windshield places are only open during the week. I'll have to see if someone can come to work and give me a quote. One more thing I don't have time for...

• 1 month later...
Got the windshield fixed a few weeks back, filed a claim with CalTrans since they cannot seem to keep the freeways clean around here. What happens last week? Another rock, nice chip spot right on the edge of the heating element. So pissed.

Archived