LegacyGT.com

Tire size - 225/40/18?

gimpydingo

Getting new tires for both the 3.6R and LGT.

Going with 225/45/17 for the LGT

Question about the 3.6R. Thinking about 225/40/18 (current 225/45/18). Driving mountain roads and freeway, fairly smooth only a few dips and potholes here and there.

I don't have problems with the 225/45's, but would like a little lower profile. Would 225/40 be an issue? I know if I hit a pretty good pothole I might bend the rim.

Just second guessing and looking for another opinion.

I use 225/40/18 on my factory SpecB rims since I replaced the original tires many many years ago and haven't had a problem. Speedo seems to read normal (usually 1-2 mph faster than the Your Speed Is "" around construction sites) and I haven't broken the rims yet (180k miles). For whatever reason, the tires are usually $15-$20 less per tire too.

I use 225/40/18 on my factory SpecB rims since I replaced the original tires many many years ago and haven't had a problem. Speedo seems to read normal (usually 1-2 mph faster than the Your Speed Is "" around construction sites) and I haven't broken the rims yet (180k miles). For whatever reason, the tires are usually $15-$20 less per tire too.

Thanks! I figured I'd be good. Yeah $169 for the 40's vs 216 for the 45's...

They don't make 225/40/17's though, had to get 45's for the GT.

I did bend a rim and slash a tire on my GT. Though I popped up on the corner of a curb turning a corner and caught just the edge, tire/rim slipped down the curb and slashed the tire.

• 1 month later...

Couple months late, but replacing a 225/45-18 tire with 225/40-18 will involve an upward inflation pressure adjustment. I think in this particular case, it takes about 6 psi more in the 225/40 to match the OE load rating of the 225/45.

Otherwise, you'll be driving around on significantly underinflated tires (no matter that the TPMS isn't saying a damn thing about it).

Norm

Archived