LegacyGT.com

Missing Torque?

2011 Legacy 2.5i, 160K, purchased used at 150K.

I recently had my timing belt replaced.

It seems as if the engine low end torque is lacking slightly.

The car runs fine and will produce power when revving.

Gas millage may be off a little as well, though it has gotten colder here in NY recently.

I am wondering if the belt alignment may be slightly off.

I don't want to be a PITA to my mechanic, but would the cam timing being off slightly be barely noticeable or painfully so? :confused:

MAX

I accidently installed timing belt is off by a tooth on the drivers exhaust cam and my idle was slightly rough. It also set an check light within a few miles of driving. My GT has crank and intake/exhaust cam position sensors. Even though the 2.5i has 2 single overheads cams vs the four dual overheads the GT has, I imagine the 2.5i has sensors for both camshafts and cranks therefore would set a code.

For your issue, I would check for simple items that the mechanic likely had off and could have forgotten to connect or tightened. For instance check the intake track clamps and all the hoses connected to the intake are connected.

Clean MAF. Check and replace air filter if you haven't lately. Reset the ECU if you haven't.

Perhaps with the mileage the cat is starting to plug up, do you burn any oil? Could try replacing the upstream o2 sensor.

if the cam timing is off the engine wont produce the correct vacuum. remember an engine is just an air pump. id check vacuum and compare to known good. that's how I used to find jumped timing on older cars that didn't monitor all cams

Thanks to all!

Justen;

Thanks for the tip.

My gas mileage has returned to near "normal", and the car drives fine and will make power when revved. I just thought I remembered more torque down low.

Not much happens under 2,500 rpm I guess...

MAX

• 1 month later...
I accidently installed timing belt is off by a tooth on the drivers exhaust cam and my idle was slightly rough. It also set an check light within a few miles of driving. My GT has crank and intake/exhaust cam position sensors. Even though the 2.5i has 2 single overheads cams vs the four dual overheads the GT has, I imagine the 2.5i has sensors for both camshafts and cranks therefore would set a code.

For your issue, I would check for simple items that the mechanic likely had off and could have forgotten to connect or tightened. For instance check the intake track clamps and all the hoses connected to the intake are connected.

Do you remember what code you got?...I had my belt changed and keep getting an intermittent p0024 code and suspect I may be off a tooth myself. Car drives ok except for similar loss of low end torque like the OP, otherwise no issues.

I've changed the oil, changed the oil solenoid, changed the crankshaft position sensor...still keeps coming.

I don't want to go back to that mechanic so I'm contemplating making the adjustment myself.....

Sorry for detailing the thread.... frustrated.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk