LegacyGT.com

Car drives different in the Winter.

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about the 2.5i in the winter weather. I've noticed that when it's very cold out (like under 40 degrees farenheit) my car drives a bit different in the morning. It essentially sticks at 2k RPMs while driving until the engine warms up, and I was wondering if that's normal? If I quickly switch between "Sport Mode" and back into regular mode the car drives like it normally would (around 1200k-1500k RPMs). Thanks!

Every car I’ve ever owned has done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the only vehicle I've really noticed it happen in. Before in my '02 Ram 1500 it drove the same all the time. But then again that truck was old and I sold it :spin:

I'll continue warming my car up for 5-10 minutes in the morning to help the temps rise before I drive :)

No need to warm a car up that long unless you need to defrost / de-ice the windows. I usually let it run for 30 secs and drive the car gently drive until it warms up.

You probably don’t realize this living FL but my GT are boost limited on really cold day. It drop my boost down 3psi.

Interesting, mine actually only goes about .5 psi higher when temps are in the 40s and 50s. Was it tuned that way, or is that the factory tune?

I do find it beneficial to warm up my car when it is below 60 as I have a heck of a time shifting gears when the trans is cold, downshifting is the worst.

I haven’t run my car on the factory tune. It limits the boost on my Bren tune and Cobb OTS tunes. It seems to happen below 30.

For the 6MT, the gear oil makes a huge difference. If you think your MT is hard to shift, you should experience how hard it is to shift on a 0 degree day. The 1st year, I had my 2.5i I ran the factory fluid. It was just ridiculously hard on how tough it was to shift 1-2 when the car was cold or even worse trying to get back into 1st. I would just drive it in 1st gear the length of my street. (1/8th of mile)

Edited by dgoodhue

the colder it gets the more pronounced the warm up is. Subaru purposely hold engine revs high to get the engine to warm up faster. with my 14 when it is -30F out, the car will rev up to 3K and stay there until it warms up... it is annoying to say the least.

No need to warm a car up that long unless you need to defrost / de-ice the windows. I usually let it run for 30 secs and drive the car gently drive until it warms up.

After the lastest weather, I have had to defrost my car a lot lol. I also want the inside to be warm when I drive too :cool:

the colder it gets the more pronounced the warm up is. Subaru purposely hold engine revs high to get the engine to warm up faster. with my 14 when it is -30F out, the car will rev up to 3K and stay there until it warms up... it is annoying to say the least.

I was guessing the car automatically adjusted to the temperature outside. It was around 10 degrees farenheit the other day and my car stuck at 2k-2.5k RPMs for a little bit.