LegacyGT.com

Ran out of oil and car shut off

So I ran out of oil but the light literally JUST popped on and the car shut down simultaneously so I don't think completely empty tho. Filled it back up but when I started it it kept dying. Killed the battery trying to start it got a jump but when it started it made a nasty screeching sound.. idk how to explain it now but I know it wasn't the belt... So I shut her down and getting a tow home.

Anyone know whats up? Like why would it just die as soon as the oil light pops on? Why wouldn't it stay running after filling the oil back up? Or what that noise could be? All I can find is stuff about seized engines but mine will crank and and start so it wouldn't be that

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the oil pressure idiot light comes on when the oil pressure is so low oil flow has stopped, and engine damage is imminent if it has not already occurred. Sounds like the latter in your case and what you're hearing is seizing rotating assemblies. If it flickers then there's hope... possibly but unlikely, but if it's a solid light, then your scrod as they say in Maine.

Pull your oil pan and check for metal flakes. If present, then heads/valve train and possibly the engine are compromised, possibly toast.

When was the last oil check? Hopefully within the last .5-1K miles. How many miles on this engine and any leaks?

A quart of oil every 1-1.5K miles is not uncommon on these engines, depending on how well they've been maintained. It's a quart from the bottom mark of the dip stick to the top mark. Engine holds ~4.5 Qts - so the maths are pretty simple that if it's using 1 qt/per 1K miles and you haven't checked in in the last 3K miles, then you're looking at ~1 quart left in the oil pan and that's not enough for the oil pump to maintain suction and to lubricate the engine. The OP could be seizing too, but haven't seen this except in oil starvation situations.

Good luck with this. Post up what you find.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -