LegacyGT.com

sound deaden sedan

I was curious has anyone put down some sound reduction material under the rear seat of the sedan does it help any? Or does all that sound come from the trunk area? I have a crap load left and I was just was curious if I could make it a little less loud in the car (rear seat soon to be taken over by sleeping baby)

I was curious has anyone put down some sound reduction material under the rear seat of the sedan does it help any? Or does all that sound come from the trunk area? I have a crap load left and I was just was curious if I could make it a little less loud in the car (rear seat soon to be taken over by sleeping baby)

I'm going to be knocking out this project this weekend. Rear seat removal is very easy (just lift it up, there are two metal clips, takes 5 seconds), if you have a lot left over I say go for it. I hear that the trunk around the spare tire also benefits from sound deadening, but I have not tried this. I'm wondering if I read that from a wagon owner.

:iam:

Brought to you by Pfizer

Congrats! Must be your first baby, otherwise you'd know that the noise is critical for keeping them asleep.

This is true. I always make sure to be noisy around my baby, it makes them good sleepers.

Under the rear seat will likely have minimal effects. The seat cushion itself is a great thick insulator. The floor and doors could probably use more sound deadening though.

Very interested in noise cancelling. Is this Noico a good proven material? One concern that I have is added weight. Looks like lots of materials offered in US are butyl panels and thus are heavy. I know of really lightweight sounds proofing material available in Europe but gets expensive if shipped to US...

I wanted to sounds proof my wagon for a long time and may be in position to do it finally.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Very interested in noise cancelling. Is this Noico a good proven material? One concern that I have is added weight. Looks like lots of materials offered in US are butyl panels and thus are heavy. I know of really lightweight sounds proofing material available in Europe but gets expensive if shipped to US...

I wanted to sounds proof my wagon for a long time and may be in position to do it finally.

the lady that brought it to my door was huffing to the door (I helped her out) but I feels about 25-30 lbs it's pretty solid they are sheets folded over each other so I had to cut to size.

I have deadened more than a few subies. My specb has 200+sqft of it. Lol. Yup, its heavy. But its a turbo car and it was fat from the factory.

If you want to go nutz, use it on the back of all the plastic pieces too. If not pulling the carpet and roof liner you are not going too nutz. Deff can use it under the rear seat. The body and cab is thin.

• 2 weeks later...

Did it under the rear seat. There’s already paint matched sound deadening under there. I added more on the rest of the sheet metal. I tested it on my drive to work this morning using my highly accurate (:lol:) iPhone decibel meter app. No change. Average of 86db before and after. I think at that speed the wind noise through the glass is the majority of the issue. That being said I'd probably do it again. The 80 mil Noico definitely reduced the resonating frequency of those panels. I placed some on both sides of the fuel pump cover which is pretty flimsy (leaving screws exposed so I could have access to service if needed).

Anyway there are lines running under the seat. Placing dampening under those lines will prevent them from bouncing around a bit.

I’ll be doing the doors this weekend.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Just ordered this:

https://www.acoustimac.com/soundproofing-massloaded-vinyl-1lb50sf?gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h2-vlj9yDOOmi8v8Dms269F7ODfU5NdokEZLL3o7QcPUM-bSr04nyBoCcckQAvD_BwE

Mass Loaded Vinyl 1lb/sqft 50 sq. feet. Doesn't seem to have any adhesive on it so I'll attach using 3m spray adhesive under neat the car's carpet, and probably put some on the front doors too if I have any left. I couldn't find any cheaper that still had the 1lb/sq.ft feature.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Yeah I plan on layering noico dampner about 40% coverage on the sheet metal, then come closed cell foam close to 100% coverage, then 100% MLV on the doorskins in between inner door skin and the door card. Then also doing the same thing to floor of the car. From what I've read it does help quite a bit with road noise, which is my primary concern. I'll be using red construction tape to attach it to the doors and floor. I might document my progress who knows.

Brought to you by Pfizer

For road noise, if installed properly expect about a 300% decrease in noise. You can make a coffin with it. Just not for an SPL car.

I don't think my stock speakers are going to get me into SPL anytime soon :p. New speakers and an amp will probably be my winter project. Would like to have a quiet car first though to determine my needs.

300% decrease in road noise would be delightful. I'm going about 500 miles a week right now, and anything to make that a bit more quiet and relaxing would be aces. This is a GT car after all.

I'm thinking new front components and a 10" in the trunk will be plenty for me. I'm down to spend money on my music for me to listen to, I have no interest in spending money for other people to listen to my crunchy tunes.

Any advice on components/amps?

Brought to you by Pfizer

ARC makes some very nice equipment that covers several price ranges for budgets.

Many of the brand names from the hey day of car audio (90-05) are all owned by a single conglomerate today. Or were purchased for the name recognition and all design/manufacturing is now over seas.

Your choice of deadening should transform the interior road noise rejection of the car and a offer very differnt commuting experience. You may find that in the end you want to add some background noise of your own choosing.

How effective was doing the doors?

I've dynamated the driver's side doors and b-pillar so far. It's helped a bit. The doors feel more solid. The wind noise from the windows is now more apparent (less drowned out by the noise coming through the doors. I still haven't done the CCF/MLV yet, which I think will yield the most noticeable results.

My driver's side window gusset is torn as well. I'll be looking to replace it soon (they're really expensive for what they are).

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived