LegacyGT.com

iPhone GPS location malfunctions when plugged into USB.

So when I plug my phone into the car via USB, the GPS and location signal goes haywire and says my location is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean ( I’m in Ohio). When I unplug my phone, GPS signal comes back to normal and is accurate.

Anyone ever heard of this, or is there any updates to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happens to me occasionally too. I think the car can block the GPS signal if it's not strong enough on certain days. I doubt there is a fix out if it has something to do with the car. I have noticed that it happens only when using google maps. Might be a coincidence, but I have never had it happen when using Waze (which uses google) or Apple maps, so I normally just switch to one of those if the GPS signal isn't working and it seems to fix the issue.

Maybe there's an electronic interference from the phone or cable somehow that causing the GPS.

Now I know this sounds crazy but put aluminum foil around the phone and cable next time you connect your phone to see if that still scrambles the signal on the car's GPS lol.

You need to update the head unit software. It’s a software issue. The second you unplug the iphone from the car, you get instant gps coordinates so it’s not losing the signal.

Read here:

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/947/procedures-for-updating-the-head-unit-operating-software-2015-2016-subaru

I used to have the files on my PC. If I can find them I will send them to you or someone will be along to tell you where to find them. Or take the car in to a dealership.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived