LegacyGT.com

Dealer waiting 4 car I hear price 4 pads !!!!!

I'm sitting in the waiting room (ecm update) and hear the girl tell someone they need New pads all around. The price they have the 70ish year old couple was $970.

I almost fell off my chair but thanked God I do my own work!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sitting in the waiting room (ecm update) and hear the girl tell someone they need New pads all around. The price they have the 70ish year old couple was $970.

I almost fell off my chair but thanked God I do my own work!

It would have been fun if they got up and said "Oh damn, we came to the ferrari dealer again. See I told you we need new glasses"

Yeah, I did the front, new pads and rotors for less than $200.

While waiting one time, they told this chick (she was hawt) that it would be $60 to replace her cabin air filter. I nodded NO to her and after the service guy left, I told her I have a new filter in my trunk for $10 and I would show her how to change it.

Sigh! I am trying to stay out of other peoples business and there were about 15 people in the waiting room. When I turned 65 I made a pact with myself to mellow out and today I should have broke that pact I made with myself.

That's a $400-$500 job at most assuming the resurfacing or the rotors. I would have stepped in if I heard that and helped these poor people not get taken advantage of.

Yeah, I did the front, new pads and rotors for less than $200.

While waiting one time, they told this chick (she was hawt) that it would be $60 to replace her cabin air filter. I nodded NO to her and after the service guy left, I told her I have a new filter in my trunk for $10 and I would show her how to change it.

Now that's a pick-up line if I've ever heard one:lol:

Sigh! I am trying to stay out of other peoples business and there were about 15 people in the waiting room. When I turned 65 I made a pact with myself to mellow out and today I should have broke that pact I made with myself.

I hear you...I have always been outspoken and just can't sit by idly when I see things like this happen to people. Most folks would do as you did and I understand why and I am not criticizing you...it's just not in my DNA;)

I was at my local Honda dealer 2 weeks ago buying a 2018 Accord for my Son that just graduated Grad school. I saw a pretty young girl with her Mom test driving used SUV's. A Nissan Rogue and then a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Right in front of the salesman I asked if I could interject for a moment and the Mom said absolutely. She told me this was her daughter's first purchase. The daughter said she was 24...looked 17. I told her to stay clear of the Mitsu as they are pieces of crap and one of the most poorly rated vehicles on Consumer Report. I'm not a big Nissan fan either but that would be a far better choice. Once they finished working with the salesman, she came over and thanked me:)

Good someone is carrying the torch. Health reasons prompted me to stay calm.

I hear you...I have always been outspoken and just can't sit by idly when I see things like this happen to people. Most folks would do as you did and I understand why and I am not criticizing you...it's just not in my DNA;)

I was at my local Honda dealer 2 weeks ago buying a 2018 Accord for my Son that just graduated Grad school. I saw a pretty young girl with her Mom test driving used SUV's. A Nissan Rogue and then a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Right in front of the salesman I asked if I could interject for a moment and the Mom said absolutely. She told me this was her daughter's first purchase. The daughter said she was 24...looked 17. I told her to stay clear of the Mitsu as they are pieces of crap and one of the most poorly rated vehicles on Consumer Report. I'm not a big Nissan fan either but that would be a far better choice. Once they finished working with the salesman, she came over and thanked me:)

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

$970 may have included other maintenance work already quoted. OEM pads are ~$200 for all 4.
I heard the service person give them the quote. It was pads all around and dressing up the rotors.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Now that's a pick-up line if I've ever heard one:lol:

She was "hawt" probably because the cabin air filter was really dirty and effecting the efficiency of the air conditioning.

But she was also probably good looking.

My dealer quoted me $880 for 4 new pads installed on my wife's Forester. I knew the rotors needed replacement pretty soon, so I got nice, aftermarket pads (Hawk HPS 5.0) and rotors (KNS 4K) installed all around for ~$700. Now brake pedal feedback is so much better, and it feels like it is stopping shorter. The pads probably won't last as long as OEM though.

On my other car, an Impreza 2.5RS I did all 4 corners with new anodized rotors and Raybestos premium pads for less than $150. I did all the labor, parts from Rockauto.
---

Not defending prices, but people keep forgetting all the other things that go along with getting work done vs. doing it home.

I know a few mechanics at dealerships. The hours they charge for are never the hours they actually work on the cars for. He recently told me that he can have three jobs, bill for 8 hours and only work for two. How is that even remotely accurate?

---

I get that things will be more expensive at the dealership service centers. They have a lot of requirements from the manufacturers' to meet. They have to employ service advisors, have nice facilities, etc., etc. It does seem though that they really over-charge for some specific things, but not as much for others. Brakes are the most recent thing I've run into where the labor cost seemed out of whack for one of the simplest jobs they have to do.

I don't know about Subaru service techs, but I do know a Mercedes tech who says he gets paid for how long the job is supposed to take according to Mercedes, and not how long it actually takes to do the work, even if there are complications, etc. The customer gets charged for the extra time though, or at least some of it in most cases.

The tech I just spoke to, and who is a friend, works at a Mercedes dealership. One of his remarks was ‘I can’t believe how much Mercedes cars break down!’ :lol:

So this past Saturday he worked half a day and was able to bill for a full day because of the type of work he performed. He says he loves the 30k and 60k maintenance the best.

---

I like how down in FL all Subaru’s come with 4 maintenance services included. I am on my second one. Had oil change, rotate tires and cabin filter replaced.
---

I know a few mechanics at dealerships. The hours they charge for are never the hours they actually work on the cars for. He recently told me that he can have three jobs, bill for 8 hours and only work for two. How is that even remotely accurate?

First I was referring to things, like insurance, electricity, mortgage all the costs that are involved in running a business that guys doing a job in the driveway don't take into account when they post on forums I did the job for this much compared to a dealer or shop.

Flat rate is what it is. I would have been total fine working hourly as long as customer were willing to pay when their jobs went to shit.

I can tell you it's no fun sitting around for 40 hours and getting a check for 17 hours cause it's summer and slow.

The tech I just spoke to, and who is a friend, works at a Mercedes dealership. One of his remarks was ‘I can’t believe how much Mercedes cars break down!’ :lol:

So this past Saturday he worked half a day and was able to bill for a full day because of the type of work he performed. He says he loves the 30k and 60k maintenance the best.

The tech I know says the same thing about Mercedes reliability. He is one of the master techs at the local dealer, and he gets a lot of the particularly difficult jobs. He gets more per job because of his skill level, but the work invariably takes longer than it is supposed to, so it dilutes his earnings. He routinely works on Sundays to catch up. He is making good money, but it obviously hurts when he only gets paid for 2 hours work on a 4 hour job.

Archived