LegacyGT.com

"Dashboard" (Under hood) Rattle Fix

So I've had a rattling sound coming from what I thought was the dashboard at lower speeds and low rpm when the known vibration occurs. That vibration caused what sounded like a clip or connector rattling in the dashboard area somewhere. When I was working under the hood, I by chance bumped the upper bonnet area and I heard a slight rattle and proceeded to find that pretty much every single on of the clips that holds on the the hood fabric piece is was lose fitting. I put some sticky-tack under all of the clips to fill in the gaps causing the rattles and the rattling sound that I originally thought was from the dashboard is now gone. I was a little worried the sticky-tack would melt or something being so close to the engine, but after driving 400 miles the other day everything is still in place.

Just wanted to post to give something to others maybe having the same issue and easy fix before doing a much more involved job of taking apart the dashboard and tying up lose connectors and clips. Or have the dealer look for it and end up making something else worse while "fixing" it.

Also a warning that the bonnet clips are kind of fragile as I took out two of them completely and one got damaged and the other one completely broke. The other ones I just lifted slightly and shoved some filler in the gaps. They might have broke because it was cold out when working on it also.

Total cost of the fix is <$1 and about 15 minutes. I might try to convince the dealer to give me a few new clips to replace the one I broke since I'm still under warranty. If they give a fuss I'll just get some new ones from ebay for like $4.

As a note I tried the clips that fit the for the wheel-well and grille area but those do not fit the bonnet as the wheel-well clips are 10mm and the hood bonnet ones are 6.5mm for the stem diameter.

Archived