LegacyGT.com

Bought a EJ257 short block that needs a rebuild

Bought a ej257 short block that has about 10,000km on it. Story is that it wasnt broken in properly and was burning a lot of oil. When the pan was pulled apparently there was some brass in it.

Where do I begin to look for damage? I payed very little for this block so if it only ends up being good for a core exchange I wont be upset.

I think your best bet is to send the oil off for analysis to determine what type of metal is in the oil. If you want to test at home, if the metal doesnt react to a magnet its generally bearing related. If it does, its iron or steel.

You need to take the motor apart to really see damage, but this is a good starting point.

Make sure to replace ALL oiling components if you are going to reuse the motor:

Oil pan, and oil pickup should be replaced, pan can be cleaned and re-used if on tight budget

Oil Cooler (on applicable models) MUST be replaced, it cannot be cleaned, ever.

Heads should be cleaned and inspected - oil galleries can house debris

On AVCS equipped models, AVCS gears should be inspected and cleaned, AVCS oil line from solenoid flushed and the cam's oil gallery for the AVCS gear should be flushed

Oil Pump usually needs to be replaced due to damage from debris, can be cleaned and re-used although not recommended

Turbo Oil Feed's screen filter on the Banjo bolt will need to be replaced, if you lack the filter, you need to flush or replace oil feed line to turbo and inspect turbo for debris

read: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2401576

good luck. I would lean towards core exchange unless you want the headache.

You can get oem pistons for about 25 each. You just need to know if it's size A or B. As far as bearings go, you should split the block first to see if any bearings have spun like barmanbean stated above. If a bearing has spun you will have to get a line hone which will determine your bearing size. King bearings, and ACL are good quality bearings if you choose not to go oem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Archived