LegacyGT.com

A little help with our windshields!

I saw this tech and thought I would share it with everyone to help save some bucks on those costly windshield repair bills. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try it if it is not cost prohibitive. Funny thing though in the demo, it looks like the first ball bearing impact breaks the windshield.. I did get an add on to my auto insurance for windshield replacement (no deductible) as damage concerned me too - more so than any previous car.

I saw this tech and thought I would share it with everyone to help save some bucks on those costly windshield repair bills. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks for sharing - it looks pretty cool!

My guess is that it is just some type of organosilane polymer that undergoes a sol-gel reaction. These types of coatings recently have been becoming quite popular for their super hydrophobic (water-replant) ability and optical clarity. If any of you try it, I'd be curious to see how long it actually lasts and if it is noticeable once it eventually starts to chip-off the windshield as it wears down over time. It's longevity will definitely depend on how clean your windshield is since the reaction actually bonds to the glass.

If anyone is interested on the technology (probably not - haha) Dow Corning has a good paper on it:

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/26-1402-01.pdf

If anyone is interested on the technology (probably not - haha) Dow Corning has a good paper on it:

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/26-1402-01.pdf

Thanks for posting that. Knowledge is good; understanding is even better.

I still have difficulty, though, understanding how a molecular film can substantially improve the strength and toughness (i.e. impact resistance) of a glass panel. (The KickStarter proposal proclaims, "LiquidNano increases the resistance of your windshield against chips and cracks by more than 600%!")

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for posting that. Knowledge is good; understanding is even better.

I still have difficulty, though, understanding how a molecular film can substantially improve the strength and toughness (i.e. impact resistance) of a glass panel. (The KickStarter proposal proclaims, "LiquidNano increases the resistance of your windshield against chips and cracks by more than 600%!")

To my knowledge, it wouldn't make a very substantial difference on crack resistance. I mean anything that you put on as an additional layer would give you some time of benefit as it is just one more layer the impact has to penetrate through. Someone can try putting clear nail polish on their window and see if they get less cracking and better water repellent properties :lol: .

My guess would be that the material is probably "600%" more crack resistant than an equivalently sized piece of glass, but obviously being a very thin layer, doesn't appreciably transfer that superior impact resistance to the windshield as a whole. They could pretty easily get away with a claim like this as how do you actually measure this in a field test? If a rock hit your windshield and it didn't crack, they could claim their product was the reason it was protected, but if the windshield did crack they could say "imagine how much worse it would have been without our product!" and there would really be now way for the consumer to confirm those claims.

Defective winshield were mainly installed on early 2015MY cars. Subaru later on redigned the windshield and fixed the problem.

The windield on my 2015 busted about within 2000 miles and the redesigned OEM replacement was in perfect condition at 24K miles when I got rid of the car.

However, if it is a concern for some, I would recommend researching a product called "Clearplex"

It is like a clear-bra but designed for your windshield.

My 2016 took a chip that immediately spidered a few thousand miles ago (just passed 12k a few weeks back). Getting it replaced through Safelite was a chore since they ordered the wrong windshield (somehow they couldn't tell I needed one that had allowance for a heating element). No issues thus far with the new one...

*knocks on wood*

Archived