LegacyGT.com

Can you I.D. these connections?

So the P.O. did a real hacksaw job installing a really shitty head-unit in my '98 LGT. When I pulled out the stereo, I saw these two connectors that are not actually connected to anything. I unplugged the cut and stripped wire connector, installed the new unit and they seem to not affect the audio system. I'm guessing that they are for the factory set up and unused by an aftermarket radio.

I wasn't able to I.D. them with the Haynes manual that I've got. Does anyone know where these go?

Wire nuts are very not ok for mobile applications. Vibration.

I think the big one on the right is for the cigarette lighter. Mine has two of these, one always hot (key out), and one hot in accessory and run postions.

Does the small one belong to the light in the ash tray? Seems like that was a little connector like that.

It's been a while since I've been inside that area, but those are my guesses.

Yeah, I cringed when I saw the wire nuts, like I said, hacksaw job. I soldered and shrink tubed the new stereo in. The odd thing is that half of the stuff on the car was really well thought out and the other half just slapped together. Thanks for the info on the connections, makes sense that one is for a small light and the other for the lighter.

Wire nuts are very not ok for mobile applications. Vibration.

I think the big one on the right is for the cigarette lighter. Mine has two of these, one always hot (key out), and one hot in accessory and run postions.

Does the small one belong to the light in the ash tray? Seems like that was a little connector like that.

It's been a while since I've been inside that area, but those are my guesses.

I was going to say that it looks like the cigarette lighter harness and ashtray light, but like you, I haven't been inside that area in a while. I'm going to be installing my radio iPod harness and Radar Detector harness this weekend, so I will report back when I open it up if you haven't figured it out yet.

Maybe there were two POs of differeing skill level?

Don't take my idea as gospel on this. It's been months since I was in there. If you have a volt meter you can probe the little one for 12v with the ash tray in and closed vs out. If you have one just like the big one going to the lighter then I think you can call that one solved. While you are in there you can select with those two which behaviour you want from the lighter.

The larger one is indeed the cigarette lighter harness. The smaller one is the ashtray light. When I did my install over the weekend, I found those exact harness connections on my car. I replaced my cigarette lighter with a dual USB charger and spliced into that harness for my radar detector leads.

The larger one is indeed the cigarette lighter harness. The smaller one is the ashtray light. When I did my install over the weekend, I found those exact harness connections on my car. I replaced my cigarette lighter with a dual USB charger and spliced into that harness for my radar detector leads.

Thanks for confirming this! The PO had a crappy dual USB charger wired in and the damned thing didn't work at all. Just pulled it and terminated the wires.

This the one I used: http://amzn.to/2swvH7q

The connections from the old cigarette lighter plug right into the back of this. Use a dremel to enlarge the hole from the old light plug and it fits flush in there. My Samsung Note 5 detects the 2.1A port for quick charging, so it'll charge my phone from ~25-ish% to full in about 35 minutes, or approximately 5 minutes longer than my commute.

Archived