LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

Welded an extra bung into the front cat for use with my wideband and pressure gauge.

Also, found my sway bar is broke while I was under there and removed it. I guess that was the source of that noise a few days ago. I thought it was weird that I bottomed the exhaust on that ground. Wheel height difference popping the sway bar makes more sense. Good thing I have a parts car...

P.S. Anyone know the super secret ninja technique for installing a swaybar without removing the exhaust header?

Edited by doublechaz

she didnt let me know that dps towed the car, went to a party and got coked up and ended up in a coma the next morning. she was still in that coma last night. she didnt tell anyone what happened to my car, i had to lean on some people to even figure out what area she had to get a ride from. wasnt until days later i found it in a local DPS lot.

My self made short shifter left the knob just a tad too far away in 5th so last night I pulled it, cut a double wide notch in it, bent the notch shut and re-welded it. Now it's perfect.

Re: the above mentioned rules...

1. Cars are real.

2. Cops are real.

3. Fire will burn you.

4. You can not fly.

5. You are not going to die.

Edited by doublechaz

• 2 weeks later...

Put in a pressure gauge now that I have the spare port on the front CAT. The new CATs and straight through muffler are great! WOT at redline is under 1 psi, cruising at 80 is about 0.2 psi, otherwise it is below measureable limits. Except when it is spitting and popping, then it jumps between -1 and +1 psi.

So much better than it was before all the exhaust work. At the worst with muffler and CATs plugged it was as bad as 6 psi at redline and 0.5 during normal driving.

Finally got the WRX seats installed, they sit quite a bit higher but I do like the bolsters. I'm sure I'll get used to the new seating position relative to the pedals and the shifter, but it feels a little like driving a truck again.

Also got a new master switch installed and got the little triangle tweeters I pulled from an Outback wagon installed on the doors.

nah they left it at my friends shop. the detective knows she was borrowing it for over a month, and that we left it as-is at the shop where it is now. im gonna call today and see if i can get more info

Twisty, that is freaking insane. Sad to see the car in that condition.

i agree, still havent worked out what im going to do with him yet.

was that you with the EJ parts on CL a couple weeks ago? a buddy of mine in chino valley sent me a link to a crapton of parts for sale up there haha

i agree, still havent worked out what im going to do with him yet.

was that you with the EJ parts on CL a couple weeks ago? a buddy of mine in chino valley sent me a link to a crapton of parts for sale up there haha

No, that wasn't me, but I will be getting rid of some of my EJ parts. I'm now at a point since our daughter was born where I can start devoting some time on the weekends to work on my cars. I'll be getting rid of engines, body parts, engine parts, etc. I also have a complete rolling shell (no engine or transmission) if you're interested. It's a 99 Limited with dual moonroofs. I'll let it go for cheap. All the electronics on it work, I just don't have time to put it back together. I bought it to replace my 99 L I sent to the junkyard and found out the harsh reality of Phase 1 and Phase 2 electronics, so it sat.

I had a slipping alternator belt that was starting to squeal on startup. I thought the bolt was stripping out so I stopped at home depot to get a new bolt and install it. Turns out the body of the alternator was stripped out and wouldn't take a new bolt. Ended up putting a longer bolt through the tensioner with a lock-nut on the back end. Takes an extra step to adjust the belt tension, but at least it works. The alternator is a reman unit that I got from Rock Auto about a year ago.

I'm wondering if the unbalanced nature of the motor with a lightweight flywheel and lightweight crank pulley vibrated the bolt loose where the tension stretched the threads in the alternator to the point of stripping out. Either that or I over tightened the bolt upon installation.

I'm surprised with LWFW and LWP that you're not getting a CEL - I'm sure it's vibrating quite a bit. Usually not a good idea to install both.

Personally, I'd keep the stock FW for driveability (especially when rolling steady-state in higher gears) and install the LWP to help reduce inertial load without impacting driveability.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

update:

the girl passed away last weekend, detectives are investigating her "accident" on the freeway. they did find something in the car, not sure what yet tho. the mom is resisting responsibility.

That's sad.

Not sure if this is the case in AZ, but it seems to be typical everywhere that I've lived. If your car had your insurance on it, then that is the first coverage, regardless of who was driving it.

If the "accident" damages are not covered by your insurance, then the harmed individuals, yourself included, can go after whatever insurance coverage the girl had.

Hope it all works out. Condolences about the girl.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Nah, the plumbing problems were about getting used water out of the house. Kinda top priority thing so no time for fun projects. Or really any projects at all besides getting that shtwater out.

I have the lightweight pulley, but stock flywheel. But I'd vote for overtorqued. It's real easy to do in cast aluminum.

Today I checked and filled the tires on all my running cars vis a vis the recent 50 degree temperature change. Shoulda done that a couple days ago.