LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 2nd Generation Subaru today? - V3

http://i.imgur.com/R6PCzYn.jpg

Finally installed all my stainless brake lines and hawk HPS brakes all around. Also finally threw on the Brz Wheels. I think the lugs are different.. Each time I tightened a lug the wheel kept going in. They were same pitch I just think mine has a longer cup?

Edited by Thor294

That's probably bad news. I pulled the oil pump today. The back cover was tight, the rotor seems ok by sight, the o-ring was ok. Unless there is something wrong with the pressure bypass valve I probably have a bearing problem in the top end.

Put in about a half day on mine. For "big" jobs I sometimes do a worksheet like attached. Helps me make sure I don't forget something three weeks later. I keep meaning to make an oil flag and a coolant flag to hang on the steering wheel.

http://mynet.whitehat-inc.com/subaru/worksheet.jpg

That's probably bad news. I pulled the oil pump today. The back cover was tight, the rotor seems ok by sight, the o-ring was ok. Unless there is something wrong with the pressure bypass valve I probably have a bearing problem in the top end.

At 286k hard earned miles, it's very plausible. You're not exactly nice to that 2.2 so I'd be willing to bet a bearing is starting to go.

You mean it *isn't* a race car?

Nice with working on it and maintaining it. Not nice with the binary throttle use. ;)

I was pretty much expecting there to not be a problem with the oil pump.

I guess it's time to start actually putting time into another engine. I've been expecting to need one for years.

Edited by doublechaz

I thought I was going to finish today but...

When I got the car both tensioner bolt holes were partly stripped. I've struggled with it ever since because I didn't know at first that those holes were on a bracket rather than in the block casting.

So with this job I was going to swap in a spare of that bracket. Problem solved right? No. When I was putting in the timing set I found that the tensioner pulley hole was stripped on the spare. Nice! Two bad brackets and no good ones. I guess no one reads the 25 ft lb torque spec on these things and instead think they are building the Golden Gate bridge.

I probably should have checked the local yard, but they don't usually have anything useful, so I spent the day drilling and tapping and finding that no one in the western hemisphere sells M9x1.25 bolts, and threading my M10 bolts down to M9 because I didn't want to drill the tensioner slider holes out that big and finding that the heads on the M10 donors were too big to clear so reducing them from 17mm down to 15mm. I'm going to leave them odd sized as a reminder that they are odd in every way.

By the time I got done with all the silliness I'd lost the light.

Oh, but I did get the sensor wires merged into the front harness at the fan connectors. And the glueing on of the timing sprocket on the crank, that always makes me nervous.

I thought I was going to finish today but...

When I got the car both tensioner bolt holes were partly stripped. I've struggled with it ever since because I didn't know at first that those holes were on a bracket rather than in the block casting.

So with this job I was going to swap in a spare of that bracket. Problem solved right? No. When I was putting in the timing set I found that the tensioner pulley hole was stripped on the spare. Nice! Two bad brackets and no good ones. I guess no one reads the 25 ft lb torque spec on these things and instead think they are building the Golden Gate bridge.

I probably should have checked the local yard, but they don't usually have anything useful, so I spent the day drilling and tapping and finding that no one in the western hemisphere sells M9x1.25 bolts, and threading my M10 bolts down to M9 because I didn't want to drill the tensioner slider holes out that big and finding that the heads on the M10 donors were too big to clear so reducing them from 17mm down to 15mm. I'm going to leave them odd sized as a reminder that they are odd in every way.

By the time I got done with all the silliness I'd lost the light.

Oh, but I did get the sensor wires merged into the front harness at the fan connectors. And the glueing on of the timing sprocket on the crank, that always makes me nervous.

Wait.... yours were M9? That'd odd because I stripped out my bracket and it was an M10x1.25... I just helicoiled the thing instead of dicking around with buying a new one... glad I did too because I had to helicoil an exhaust manifold stud hole too the next week.

Not today, since it is a work day but I did a couple minor things on the outback this weekend. I had an annoying minor leak at one of the trans cooler fittings on the radiator. It had been leaking since I replaced the radiator. After ignoring it for 4+ months I finally crawled under there and resolved the issue in like 3 minutes lol

I replaced the rear wiper blade as well. My 5 year old daughter for whatever reason was really excited about replacing that wiper so I figured why not. Kinda made me happy having her asking all those questions and helping me out. Looks really out of place with how worn and rusty the rest of the wiper assembly is back there lol

Wait.... yours were M9? That'd odd because I stripped out my bracket and it was an M10x1.25... I just helicoiled the thing instead of dicking around with buying a new one... glad I did too because I had to helicoil an exhaust manifold stud hole too the next week.

My tensioner to bracket bolts (2 of them) were M8x1.25. Messing with it I figured out that prior to me they had been replaced with bolts that were only about 3 or 4 threads into the bracket which is why they stripped. I drilled and tapped it out to M9x1.25 and made some M9 bolts that are actually long enough.

The bracket to block bolts (3 of them) are probably M10. I don't know, but I think they were bigger than the other two.

Finished up. Drove about 120 miles for testing and to get the computer to relearn. Runs great.

But oil pressure is only up 2 or 3 points on the new pump. I've exhausted the hopeful causes of low pressure. I'll have to get my act together and build that spare motor.

Got a spare timing bracket at the local yard, and also scored a virtually new alternator while I was looking around. Completely clean item in an engine bay where everything else was oily and or dusty.

Also, cleaned the accumulated tools, coke cans, and receipts from the interior.

I washed the Crustabu and the 2nd gen today. I didn't even bother using a microfiber on the 3rd gen/crustabu since there is so much embedded dirt and the paints so dry, there was no point until I can restore the paint.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/Crustaru%204_zpsgjxznm0u.jpg

Sick! Where in NoVA are you? Im in Loudoun

JECQ2Uyh.jpg

She's finally back on the road after almost 2 years of sitting. I spent a lot of money on my legacy I just hope the motor holds out.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab296/TheCocaColaMan/Mobile%20Uploads/20180430_173132_zps5w6o0b2a.jpg' alt='20180430_173132_zps5w6o0b2a.jpg'>

I had a leaking cam seal, turned out to be a broken front cam cap bolt on the intake side. Drove 30 miles with it broke :D

I lifted the engine, pulled the valve cover, drilled a hole into the bolt thread that was stuck in the head and used a Harbor Freight easy out to get it out... which is funny because its the only brand of easy out that I have never broken lol

Those snowflakes look so nicer on a second gen! I've got 5 of them stacked up in he garage waiting to go on my wagon. I just need the money for a new set of 16" tires. I was thinking of getting once just slighter bigger in diameter than the 14's for less chance of rubbing , speedometer error, etc...

Those snowflakes look so nicer on a second gen! I've got 5 of them stacked up in he garage waiting to go on my wagon. I just need the money for a new set of 16" tires. I was thinking of getting once just slighter bigger in diameter than the 14's for less chance of rubbing , speedometer error, etc...

I agree, I definitely don't want to put the H6 wheels back on. I'm running 205/55s and tire rack has decent ones for $60 ish each. I adjusted my speedo a long time ago to accommodate 16s and 17s, it was only a couple mph off prior though