LegacyGT.com

Who has the most miles on their LGT, and how are they holding up? - Vol-2

So, who has the most miles on a LGT with a 100% stock motor and the factory tune?

295,000 stock motor, turbo, tranny. Still running like a top. Only mods are a downpipe (catted) and a Cobb AP w/shelf map for the last 200K.

295,000 stock motor, turbo, tranny. Still running like a top. Only mods are a downpipe (catted) and a Cobb AP w/shelf map for the last 200K.

Wow. That's all I have to say for that. That's a feat in itself. I know there's a guy in Seattle that's the original owner of an 04 STi and he made it to something like 330 miles on oem engine and turbo and then spun a bearing and did a full engine replacement.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Currently at 187K, still on original turbo, clutch, transmission, engine and rear diff. Regular oil changes at 3500-4000 miles just normal dino oil.

That's from 2013, and now with 295k, all on conventional oil too!

My 07 Spec B has 206k km, so 128k miles. Everything is stock, including clutch. It's my winter car, so only driven 6mo a year for about 8k km.

Thinking next year I'm going to sell it and get a 2011+ WRX hatch (will be my 3rd Subie:))

Damn, that's impressive. All the locals here are really against the Cobb off the shelf tunes.

Stories like yours make me more comfortable with the mileage my car has lol. Most is hwy km and it runs like a champ. This will be my third winter with it, and it hasn't needed anything but oil changes. I use T6 Rotella.

Fwiw, my sedan was sold by its buyer with 170k miles OE motor, turbo and trans, and my wagon just passed over 160k miles same thing.

Both only ever saw Cobb maps. Both driven hard, average 11k miles/year, city/rural conditions, 5w30 or 5w40 synth whatever's on sale or T6, both burning about 0.75qts/3k miles, and averaging about 20mpg over the year.

Edited by BoozeRS05

Engine shut off at random while driving 60 MPH, exiting an interstate. Inexplicably, the e-brake audiovisual warning was the first indicator (the exact same warning given when pulling the e-brake while driving)... Difficult steering was the second. Engine started right back up at 50 MPH and was able to brake for the hard right turn.

Hope that doesn't happen again.

Engine shut off at random while driving 60 MPH, exiting an interstate. Inexplicably, the e-brake audiovisual warning was the first indicator (the exact same warning given when pulling the e-brake while driving)... Difficult steering was the second. Engine started right back up at 50 MPH and was able to brake for the hard right turn.

Hope that doesn't happen again.

Next time it happens, get on them immediately. You'll still have a little juice left in the brakes, and when the power assist runs out, you'll at least have a head start on slowing down.

Still must have been a little bit of a pucker moment!!

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

"Eerily calm" is how I'd describe how I felt. I was saving my 'one big brake moment' for the last resort. As a teenager, I played around with turning my engine off while my car was in motion, freaking my passengers out for fun. FFS who would have thought that experience would have prepared me so completely for this...

I don't have an LGT or even a gen 4 but my gen 3 has 183,xxx. As far as I know the engine, trans, diff, etc are original.

In the last 6 months, I've replaced all 4 struts, front brake pads, resonator, valve cover gaskets, tires, instrument cluster, radio, headlight housings, air intake, spark plugs, plug wires, exhaust manifold gaskets, donut gasket, gasket between manifold and catalytic converter, gasket between resonator and muffler, resonator spring bolts, turn signal stalk, shift plate, rear left caliper, and speakers. In the spring I'll be doing the head gaskets, timing belt, and pulleys/bearings. Will also replace various bushings, etc. Previous owner replaced the muffler with a walker quiet flow SS. Poor thing has had a rough life.

Also forgot to mention inner and outer tie rod ends were just done.

Edited by Sara32013

110k miles on my 05 LGT. 4th owner I bought it with 99,500 miles. Im sh*ting bricks because I'm afraid of my motor going... Although looking at it from the bottom and back it looks like someone replaced both heads but why ??

Stage 3

Vf48

850cc

DW65c

Okada Project Coil Packs

38mm Tial EWG

Catless 3" exhaust

PW intercooler

Turbosmart BPV

Grimmspeed EBCS

and some other things but shes running strong ! Rotella T6 every 3k and checking Oil regularly.

Personally, if you use a tool like this one to monitor the health of your car (e.g. good fuel trims, no knocking, ocv running good, achieving target boost, no misfires especially at idle), change the oil regularly, and the car is not burning oil excessively, then you're good. Just keep up the maintenance. My 06 has 142k and she runs strong. Thanks to the above mentioned tool, it helped me eventually diagnose a valve clearance issue which I fixed on my own for less than 200$+ my time.

I think you have the Chosen One of these cars. 295,000 on the original block and turbo??? Damn, son! At 88k, I can only pray that my car has another 200,000 miles in it as well.

110k miles on my 05 LGT. 4th owner I bought it with 99,500 miles. Im sh*ting bricks because I'm afraid of my motor going... Although looking at it from the bottom and back it looks like someone replaced both heads but why ??

Stage 3

Vf48

850cc

DW65c

Okada Project Coil Packs

38mm Tial EWG

Catless 3" exhaust

PW intercooler

Turbosmart BPV

Grimmspeed EBCS

and some other things but shes running strong ! Rotella T6 every 3k and checking Oil regularly.

Nice setup! Did you or the previous owner do the Okada Project coils? I'd see those as a good indication that the car was well cared for...

Headwork, as you've seen, is not uncommon for these cars. Maybe the PO had a valve issue or HG leak?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

HG replacement could turn ugly if cracks are found. I'm running new heads now for the same reasons. Some say run it, but I'm not inclined to do so after the crack rolls under the valve seat. Repair would be questionable anyhow. It's around $1100 for new pair of castings that come with valve guides installed.

Sold it last week at 191k on the original untouched short block, still running well. Pretty amazing given that it had a number of things that generally are frowned upon for longevity.

#1 SPT intake on a stock tune.

#2 Drove 20+ miles after a turbo failure at 140k miles. Put on a new turbo, changed the oil twice and after another 50k miles still no signs of the dreaded YNANSB.

#3 Lightweight flywheel and lightweight crank pulley.

#4 Didn't remove the catted uppipe until 180k miles.

Wow. That's all I have to say for that. That's a feat in itself. I know there's a guy in Seattle that's the original owner of an 04 STi and he made it to something like 330 miles on oem engine and turbo and then spun a bearing and did a full engine replacement.

Thanks regular maintenance is a key plus some luck.

Yeah: WOW. What is your daily commute like?

I'm a sales engineer and am constantly on the road meeting clients I average 35-40K a year.

Damn, that's impressive. All the locals here are really against the Cobb off the shelf tunes.

Stories like yours make me more comfortable with the mileage my car has lol. Most is hwy km and it runs like a champ. This will be my third winter with it, and it hasn't needed anything but oil changes. I use T6 Rotella.

The dino oil has been out of necessity as my OCI's are about 5-6 weeks apart imagine the oil costs running synthetics! :eek:

I think you have the Chosen One of these cars. 295,000 on the original block and turbo??? Damn, son! At 88k, I can only pray that my car has another 200,000 miles in it as well.

:lol: That engine is barely broken in.

Wow I have to say I did not expect so much reaction to my post. Thanks everyone. I don't get on the boards that often but I'll keep checking in as the mileage piles on up. Next at 315K will be timing belt change #3. I feel like I just did #2 at 210K just last year it seems. Here is a pic of the current miles. And one as she sits right now. I just had the sticky dash replaced and the alternator decided it was time to say bye-bye big thanks to Mastro Subaru Service team for getting me back on the road.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/fernely/IMG_0413.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/fernely/IMG_0415.jpg

Fernely that's great to hear, Some of us have known for a while the cars do best when they are driven for long distance. They don't do well for only short trips.

You may want to think about going to a Amsoil oil and send samples off the Blackstone Labs and have them tell you how many miles you can travel on the oil. There told me at 7000 miles send in another sample. I just change it a 7000-8000 miles.

HAMMERDOWN does a 17,000 OCI, but he has 2 remote filters.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On avg. 15k OCI.

MY OC cost is about $125. For 2 oil filters & 11qts. of oil. 7qts. for the OC & the other 4qts. will be need for top offs over the 15k-17k OCI. That works out to under $35 for Subaru's 3750 OCI.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/get-your-oil-filtration-down-2-microns-81741.html

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold