LegacyGT.com

Brake Pad Problem...

sigmafour

• I Donated Too

This is supposedly a quality ceramic brake pad... anyone seen pads do this before? These are only 3 weeks old and are starting to groove the rotors so I can't leave them to keep doing this... the pads and rotors were supplied by the same place... warranty issue or any thoughts?

http://www.sigmafour.net/lgt/pad1.jpg

http://www.sigmafour.net/lgt/pad2.jpg

http://www.sigmafour.net/lgt/rotor1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm, bummer. But it's no coincidence that the grooves are lined up perfectly with where the holes are. What kind of pads are those? Is it doing it on both sides of the car and also the inside AND outside of the rotors?

I suspect holes weren't chamfered enough and they are rough enough to ruin the pads. I purposely have always stayed away from drilled rotors and this gives me another reason to never buy them. Also though, it is probably too soon in the life of the pads and rotor to make any assumptions. Before they are fully bedded in, I often see all kinds of lines/ semi-grooves in the rotors, which fade in time.

All good questions. As Burock said, another reason NOT to get drilled rotors. :(

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• I Donated Too

Oh now you all show up?

It was never the rotors... the "grooves" that were created do not line up with the holes as that was my obvious first thought too, that machining or something caught the pads and started this process, could have been the very edge of some of the holes but the rotor was beautifully machined and I think I would have felt that as I ran my fingers over the rotor before it was put on the car. The grooves are actually where the Silver Cadmium plating is still in place as the brake pad didn't even get a chance to scrub that from the surface before they broke up and stopped contact. All four pads did this, all were the same batch number.

I agree drilled rotors do nothing but I have used them for years and I personally just like the look, I have myself convinced they are better in the wet even though I know there's no evidence of that and I don't mind the risk of cracking, they are cheap enough to replace... So that's the reason I have them and for no other.

The pad itself was the obvious problem. All four from same batch, there was clearly some manufacturing issue that caused the pad surface to pull apart and because that is the Silver Cadmium plating still on the rotor, the pad never had a chance to bed in before it fell apart. From the looks of things on one pad I saw a crater almost like a chunk 'pulled' out from the pad and then I would assume this was dragged under the rest of the pad causing a chain reaction and ripping out the larger groove...

I ran stock pads for a while which smoothed out the surface of the rotor again, and all the cadmium plating on the surface polished out, the circular grooves vanished and the rotor is looking good. Stock pads which were from Advance Auto Parts and nothing special didn't take up any of the grooves from the rotor surface and stayed smooth themselves. The 'bad' pads were replaced under warranty which was never disputed, as soon as they saw the pictures they said - yes, that's a problem and sent replacement pads without fuss. All seems well now...

And yes... these ones are probably from China... brakeperformance.com is where they all came from... Very happy with their service on this and the brake feel and stopping power is very sharp and improved over stock. No complaints on price or warranty there's a lot out there for more money so I feel like I got a deal. Ask me again when the front of the car is embedded in the back of the truck in front of me...

• I Donated Too

Well I assume China but their website says: (http://brakeperformance.com/about-us.php)

"Because we are the Manufacturer and not a Reseller, we can guarantee the best quality, fit and customer service anywhere!"

So who knows... and yes, I do not disagree you do in large part always get what you pay for but these things are working, they did swap the pads quickly and it does look like a bit of bad luck with the manufacturing process. It all works very well and it didn't cost a lot... this was an interim brake solution for me as I do not know what I want long term and I did not want the rusty rotors showing under the summer 18" wheels...

And I thought my pictures showed the circles do not line up with the holes... they pass right by the side of them, not one goes through the holes directly... all you can say is the pad ultimately seemed to be the issue.

• I Donated Too

Nooooooooo.... Love that mat! It's from my days I had my Ford Probe GT... meh first turbo car... awww happy days...

And iNVAR - I see your point... You illustrated it well. It is very curious, I did not really consider the tracks on the pad so much as I was looking at the tracks left on the rotors themselves and if you see there are the bright circle lines left on the rotor which correspond to where the pads were no longer making contact and those do not line up with the holes but they do touch them. Ah well... the new pads are fine but maybe the first pads did bash into some daft machining problems which I didn't detect but there's no consistent reason... some pads only have two big track marks... could have been a few reasons then...

The bright lines on the rotors themselves don't line up to the holes; they lines up to between the holes, so it definitely has something to do with the combination of the holes and the pads.

Well, hopefully everything's working as it should now though. Keep an eye on things. :)

Archived