LegacyGT.com

A loaner Outback is somewhat disappointing ....

Last week I took in my 2016 Legacy Limited to have the exhaust pipe recall done . I figured I would wait on it . They are always slow as molasses , but I am patient and can read a novel there just as well as at home . However the service writer offered a loaner and who am I to say no ? I only asked for NAVI , if possible . They put me in a 2020 Outback Limited . Only 1400 miles on it .

Some observations - vs. my current ride

PROS

Definitely quieter .

Seems quite smooth , in a detached sort of way .

Interior is very nice , attractive two tone leather .

The infotainment screen is much bigger , didn't use it enough for it to be second nature , the search feature for the Navi is easier .

The automatic opening on the tailgate is nice .

The clock is certainly easier to read than my small , misplaced one .

The blind spot detection display with a bright line of color in the mirror black surround is much better , much easier to pick up at a quick glance .

I really like the small speed limit sign in the center instrument area , right next to the MPH display .

CONS - IMO

I hated , HATED , the stop/start feature . Extremely aggravating since the car shutters on every startup .

When using the lane departure feature it seemed like the car wanted to drive the car and not let you !

The lane centering seemed very intrusive , it seemed to be putting a lot of pressure on the steering wheel .

Seems bulkier , and not planted at moderate speed .

Acceleration is very relaxed on mild additional throttle . i.e. - s.l.o.w

Seems like the mirrors are angled in such a way that I wasn't comfortable with the 'picture' displayed .

I would hesitate to buy one , or a similar Legacy . That start/stop alone is possibly a deal breaker for me .

Your results may vary ............

George

I just had my recall done a few days ago and the loaner was a top of the line forester.

In my case, I agree the start stop was horrid so I turned it off every time I got in the vehicle, to bad without an after market mod, you cannot turn it off permanently.

The electric nannies I didn't like and at one point some one changed lanes in front of me the forester stopped unexpectedly thinking I was maybe going to hit them but it was a normal lane change. The lane departure goes off constantly but the beep in not to bad and was small annoyance.

One big pro, still normal HVAC and physical buttons (shame on you subaru in the legacy and outback for putting it all in a touch screen)

It was definitely quieter than my legacy, that is for sure and the CVT seemed to be have better programming.

Other than that, I really liked it compared to my 2016 legacy. The ride height alone was excellent and visibility was superb.

I have been a die hard suby person for a long time but when I trade, I am going to go for a 4 cylinder tacoma, either 4 x 4 or 4 x 2 depending on my budget at that time.

The subies are starting to loose what I loved so much about them, basic, rugged, and very mechanical if that makes sense.

I don't like all these new electrical safety features that just ruin the driving experience but I guess I am just showing my age now lol. Also, when these things break you will either fail inspection or have to fork over a ton of $$ to fix them.

I can see why some like that type of stuff but I hate most of it. I like basic no frills vehicles that just get the job done.

I definitely agree,I had 2020 legacy loaner for a day and I also hated the stop/start feature it’s so annoying same goes for the lane departure feature as you said very intrusive.

My commuter is a PHEV (Hyundai IONIQ) with start/stop, totally different experience because the car starts moving on electric-only and the engine is "bump" started above ~10kph. It works very well and I love it...however, earlier in the year I drove a regular car with start/stop, which was a terrible experience.

start/stop sucks. I thought with the new Subies that there was an option to turn it off when you start the car. My daughter's new base model Impreza doesn't have start/stop thankfully. We turned lane departure off.

in my BMW, there is a button above the start button to disable start/stop. I coded the car to remember to leave it off all the time.

start/stop sucks. I thought with the new Subies that there was an option to turn it off when you start the car. My daughter's new base model Impreza doesn't have start/stop thankfully. We turned lane departure off.

in my BMW, there is a button above the start button to disable start/stop. I coded the car to remember to leave it off all the time.

There is a way to turn it off but it must be turned off each time the car is restarted. There are aftermarket solutions but one must have reverse automatic braking.

Excellent on your daughters base impreza model not having it, it would drive her nuts.