LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket subwoofer/amp install with stock oem head unit

I've decided on a 2017-2019 Subaru 3.6R limited and I'm shopping around. I've been doing some research on installing aftermarket subs. I've always had subs in my car and done my own installs but I've never done an install with a stock head unit so this is a little new for me.

My understanding is that I'll need to tap the rear speaker outputs and run them to a line output converter like this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2IB/AudioControl-LC2i-Black.html

I'd like to do this without cutting anything - ideally with an adapter like this https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/82191_info.html if possible. Only, I haven't been able to find a harness adapter that specifically says it's compatible with the 2017/18 legacies. I see a lot for the 2015/16 models but I'm not clear on what the differences are on the back of the head units. Some pictures might help.

It would also be nice to know if anyone else has done this and get some reassurance I'm on the right path.

Aside from getting that sub out, the rest should just a matter of powering the amp and wiring the subs which is pretty standard.

I’m running a 4 channel amp for kappa components and an amp for a sub all ran through a line level converter to the stock head unit so yes this is possible. I have a 2016 so as far as differences in harness not sure. My trick was buying the stereo harness adapter as if I was replacing the head unit so I would know what wire is what and I cut and soldered in my lines. Our car has a tendency to give alternator noise. Especially if and when you decide to amp up some nice replacement speakers. It’s possible to get rid of that noise. There was a lot of back and forth with us on the forums to solve the problem and now it is very possible. The adapter you show I am not familiar with. As for the wire runs check out my post. Ken’s 2016 legacy I have pics of most of my install and questions about it that have been answered there.

—————————————————

HPS intake, Nameless Axleback Exhaust, SSD FSB, Cusco RSB, 20mm rear sway bar, Voxx 18” rims, Infinity Kappa system,

More to come...

No way my last car was a 02 maxima did a lot to that car too loved it and if I didn’t ruin a piston I’d still be driving it.

—————————————————

HPS intake, Nameless Axleback Exhaust, SSD FSB, Cusco RSB, 20mm rear sway bar, Voxx 18” rims, Infinity Kappa system,

More to come...

No way my last car was a 02 maxima did a lot to that car too loved it and if I didn’t ruin a piston I’d still be driving it.

—————————————————

More to come...

You still having noise issue with your audio?

So far mine have been noise free🙂,I might switch from 2-10”s to either 2-12”s or 1-15” sub.

I got rid of my noise by adding a noise filter to the LOC with own ground. Then added a second one to the stock head unit and gave that another ground. Took out my ground loop isolators they were interfering with the overall gain of the system.

—————————————————

More to come...

I love my maxima. I got in for $4k nearly 10 years ago. It's always been easy to work on because I just threw an after market head unit in it. Currently 4 amped 6" speakers and 2 12" w a 500watt rms amp. I'm planning on keeping the sub amp and getting a single 500 watt sub (I figure if I'm getting a grown up car, I might as well see what having a trunk is like for a change :)

I might hold on to the 4ch amp and think about swapping the speakers out later but for now my goal is adding a sub with all stock everything.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably just be tapping the rear speakers to run to that AudioControl LC2i. I really wish I could find an adapter that sits between the harness and the head unit to do it but if I have to physically tap them, I guess it is what it is.

I wish there was some sort of crash course on OEM head units. Like - are they the same across all models in the same generation? Or are the empreza head units wired completely different from the Legacy. I'm not having much luck finding diagrams or anything :/

I guess all I need to know are the rear LR speaker colors on the harness so I can tap them.

I love my maxima. I got in for $4k nearly 10 years ago. It's always been easy to work on because I just threw an after market head unit in it. Currently 4 amped 6" speakers and 2 12" w a 500watt rms amp. I'm planning on keeping the sub amp and getting a single 500 watt sub (I figure if I'm getting a grown up car, I might as well see what having a trunk is like for a change :)

I might hold on to the 4ch amp and think about swapping the speakers out later but for now my goal is adding a sub with all stock everything.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably just be tapping the rear speakers to run to that AudioControl LC2i. I really wish I could find an adapter that sits between the harness and the head unit to do it but if I have to physically tap them, I guess it is what it is.

I wish there was some sort of crash course on OEM head units. Like - are they the same across all models in the same generation? Or are the empreza head units wired completely different from the Legacy. I'm not having much luck finding diagrams or anything :/

I guess all I need to know are the rear LR speaker colors on the harness so I can tap them.

Here you go if you don’t wanna cut factory wires

http://ae64.com/10-6-pincombinedharness.htm

If you're installing a sub and you want to keep the stock head unit and HK amp you will need a multi-channel line output converter with summing. You can install the sub by just tapping into the speakers or out of the head unit but the sound is going to shit. That's how I originally had it before I installed an LC6i https://www.crutchfield.com/S-hMaGG5piG0Z/p_161LC6IB/AudioControl-LC6i-Black.html

Now my system sounds amazing.

Check out this thread @caheiss explains it well

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/starlink-head-unit-removal-schematics-237457p7.html?t=237457&page=7&highlight=lc6i