LegacyGT.com

the hood scoop thread . as you wish !

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madrid, if you make another Blue CF scoop like the one I saw for sale a few weeks back I'll snag one and sell my new, uninstalled, paint ready one to Pathtoyorsoul :)

i will have one available next week , one of this group .

IMG_4211.thumb.JPG.e40c99a3d12ffc27243491fb1c11177d.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
Man I need a silver color one for my LGT. I have the lighter grey car. I can't wait to see if he has one. or might just get the primed one and have it grey carbon wrapped. Dang choices.

Don't carbon wrap it lol. Just get a carbon one.

Yea the way to do it if you want color match is but the primered one. Then use this as an excuse to get rock chips in the bumper and hood refinished and it'll look like a brand new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't carbon wrap it lol. Just get a carbon one.

Yea the way to do it if you want color match is but the primered one. Then use this as an excuse to get rock chips in the bumper and hood refinished and it'll look like a brand new car!

I won't wrap it, I will get the carbon on :lol:.

the race wagon has something similar. If you don't add the ducts from the radiator, all it does is collect rain and leaves.

I couldn't find any pictures of your setup. Do you mind sharing any?

Are you suggesting it wasn't functional in creating a low pressure region to evacuate air out of the engine bay without the use of ducting after the radiator?

I couldn't find any pictures of your setup. Do you mind sharing any?

Are you suggesting it wasn't functional in creating a low pressure region to evacuate air out of the engine bay without the use of ducting after the radiator?

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5546802&postcount=704

I am. Read the post above for an alternative viewpoint.

I based my reasoning on this video -

and on real world testing on a mustang with a similar setup.

To actually create a low pressure zone, you'll need to create a sharp vertical dam at the leading edge of the opening. This causes the air to tumble over and create a bit of low pressure. Adding actual ducting from the radiator into the opening will work much better.

Before spending money or cutting holes, I'd get a gopro or similar device, a fairly tall/sturdy mounting system for the video camera, a roll of yarn in a color that contrasts strongly with your body paint, and some blue painters tape. Now tape 3 inche pieces of yarn sll over the front of your car. Mount the video unit in such a manner so you can see the yarn move without unduly influencing it. Now drive a test loop that is representative of your predominant driving style.

Watch video. See how the yarn moves. Any pieces that didn't move are in a dead zone. Any yarn that streams straight back is clean air. Yarn that faces forward or wildly vibrates is a problem.

Once you have figured out how to get all the string in the area where you want to put in the reverse scoop to be straight back, use tape and cardboard to create a lip. Add yarn on either side and the ends. Drive your test route. Watch the video. You can use an app called racerender2 (the 2 is important) on windows to sync 2 or more videos. If you have a tactrix setup, you can dump data into racerender2 so you know the speeds, too.

Repeat until you get an ideal yarn pattern. If you have access to CFD and a 3d mesh of the front of your car, you can skip some of these peat/repeat steps.

MagnusonSubie used his wagon for some yarn testing one afternoon. https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5640123&postcount=771 and several posts after that represented 3 plus hours of taping and filming. And many more hours of video study. I removed the big wing from the top of the car. Had been making plans for something radical off the tailgate but never finished the design before my carbon fiber connection went away.

As always, it's your car. do what you want. Ymmv.

Thanks. Looking at that first large hood vent, it could benefit from being further forwards imo and those rear vents are in some of the highest pressure regions period.

I guess my photo was a bit misleading in that I would prefer to mount the extractor as far forwards as possible, even removing the hood latch if necessary. I realize the leading edge on this extractor is not aggressive but it's a street car and I don't want it to appear too out of the norm or home brewed.

Thanks. Looking at that first large hood vent, it could benefit from being further forwards imo and those rear vents are in some of the highest pressure regions period.

I guess my photo was a bit misleading in that I would prefer to mount the extractor as far forwards as possible, even removing the hood latch if necessary. I realize the leading edge on this extractor is not aggressive but it's a street car and I don't want it to appear too out of the norm or home brewed.

funny thing about aero. Its not always pretty, as air only flows one direction. Also the edge that attaches to the hood causes the air flow to trip instead of flow smoothly.

Rather than cut your hood, ping Madrig. He's looking for a hood...i'm guessing we'll be seeing a cf hood with custom scoops shortly.

funny thing about aero. Its not always pretty, as air only flows one direction. Also the edge that attaches to the hood causes the air flow to trip instead of flow smoothly.

Rather than cut your hood, ping Madrig. He's looking for a hood...i'm guessing we'll be seeing a cf hood with custom scoops shortly.

Oh man oh man. That sounds like a much better option for my rock chipped hood. Too bad the 08-09 outback has a completely different front end. That extendable steering wheel though is so nice on my short arms.

Oh man oh man. That sounds like a much better option for my rock chipped hood. Too bad the 08-09 outback has a completely different front end. That extendable steering wheel though is so nice on my short arms.

It's about time you did lgt facelift conversion. Be the first to buy Madrig's wide body kit

• 3 weeks later...