LegacyGT.com

Fuel efficiency with climate control

Does anyone else notice higher MPG with the climate set on "Full Auto"?

It'd seem to me that gas mileage would be worse with the compressor running, but I consistently get better gas mileage when in Full Auto, in contrast to just "Auto".

Of course this is all referencing the average MPG figures on the cars computer, so I don't know how accurate that is.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

This was one of the first things I noticed with the car. With the climate control on, the car mpg doesn't suffer at all.

I had so many cars that you'd just rather have nothing on or set to fan only cause it would kill either power or mpg. Kudos for Subaru for breaking the mold.

When you turn on the Climate control it goes to "Full Auto" with the AC compressor on, if you push the AC button, it turns off the compressor, and the Climate control reads "Auto"

Yes, I'm aware. The system will go to "Auto" if you press all sorts of buttons (temp, dual mode, fan speed, whatever), hence the clarification. It just wasn't clear what you were doing in your test. But it sounds like you are explicitly talking about disabling the AC and somehow getting worse mileage.

Archived