LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Anybody here have a 2013+ forester that can comment on the space inside versus the outback/legacy platform. It has been a while since I was in one. I seem to remember the 2009+ forester was smaller than our 5th gen.

cars101 has the overall specs, but it looks lke the legacy is about 7 inches longer, an inch wider, little more head room, leg room is about the same front and back. more cargo room in the forester though, obviously. from what i remember, the forester didn't feel any smaller in the cabin, but driving it it felt quite a bit smaller.

I was hoping to get a real world feel for the size, we might be trading in our tribeca but I need something about the same size but better fuel economy so I was looking at the Forester or outback.
If you want real world feel, go find one sitting at a dealership and sit in it.

If you want real world feel, go find one sitting at a dealership and sit in it.

Lol, if I had the time for that I wouldn't be asking on here, 1 day off this week and a home improvement permit expiring in a couple weeks. This vehicle venture was not expected at this time.

Lol, if I had the time for that I wouldn't be asking on here, 1 day off this week and a home improvement permit expiring in a couple weeks. This vehicle venture was not expected at this time.

Just my opinion, but the 2013+ Forester feels like a minivan. I had a loaner when the Outback was at the dealer.

Anyone notice how the Legacy's drain holes suck??

After a wash you have streaks of water on the side skirts and on the rear bumper beneath the trunk lid for quite a bit. The square drain holes beneath the doors and trunk lid drip for a long while.

I dont know how other makers do it because every other car I've owned never did that so I never had to look.

And the side mirrors retain so much water that you have streaks down your doors if you dont blow them dry.

This other cars do too but the Legacy is one of the worst lol!

After a wash you have streaks of water on the side skirts and on the rear bumper beneath the trunk lid for quite a bit. The square drain holes beneath the doors and trunk lid drip for a long while.

And the side mirrors retain so much water that you have streaks down your doors if you dont blow them dry.

Both of my 5th Gen's door did this on the side skirts, one new brand and one used. If you wash your car often enough it will go away.

Hey guys, been talking with my tuner,

I asked to have these parts installed.

j-pipe/dp

fuel rails

fuel lines

fuel injectors

tgv deletes

ebcs

1step colder spark plugs

upgrade turbo to tdo5h-18g

dyno tune

--

i have

catback

intercooler

dw200 fuel pump

racer x charge pipe

turbosmart bpv

he got back to me today and basically said, that it would be fruitless to install the injectors/rails/lines, he said that the stock components would be far from being maxxed, he said if I ever go further(sti exhaust cams, engine build) then these components would be great to add, but he says he doesn't need them at this point.

thoughts?

he got back to me today and basically said, that it would be fruitless to install the injectors/rails/lines, he said that the stock components would be far from being maxxed, he said if I ever go further(sti exhaust cams, engine build) then these components would be great to add, but he says he doesn't need them at this point. thoughts?

I think he is right about the rails/lines but is likely wrong about the injectors. I think it pretty well established that 18g or bigger turbos (or any e85) will max out the stock injectors.

Take a datalog of a run up to redline and see what your injector duty cycle is.

I'm stage 2 and I hit ~90%. If that 18g is going to give you ~20% more hp, it makes sense that it would need ~20% more fuel. 90% x 120% = 108%. Even if not, how close to 100% is OK? I'm not crazy about mine getting to 90%.

So if your duty cycle is like mine, I think it would be super reasonable to ask if that's how it works and why.

So I agree with mcg_ that injectors sound like they are needed, but probably not the rails

Ideally you want to stay south of 80% IDC at all times.

Sounds like a mix of meh tune and undersized injectors (if using a bigger turbo, pushing much more boost, etc). If the turbo is stock and target boost <20psi, no reason for such high IDCs or PWs.

Whay do your AF Error and Boost Error plots look like during such pulls?

What WGDC do you hit?

WGDC is 63.37 solid for the whole run. My AFR is solid 11.03 too.

I don't have logs of AF Error or Boost Error, but I'll log those sometime soon.

I'm certainly no tuner, but I am curious about my tune. I'm not sure if I should blame the hot weather or if my tune is less than great.

I've read ASubieNewbie's tuning guide and I noticed that my tuner seems to have taken a very different approach.

WGDC seem good but shouldnt really be static through a WOT run, unless the t00ner employs some odd TurboDynamics and WG tables strategy .

Not sure you can log them, must calc them off Final Fuel Base vs AFR and Target Boost vs Direct/Actual Boost (or whatever these are all called in CoBB land).

Weather wouldnt affect IDCs much, incorrect MAF scaling -> Load -> potentially inflated IDCs would. Log Injector PW instead or along side IDC and see what you get, see if any other LGTs on here can chime in with their PWs at specific RPM and MAFv during a WOT run, at idle, etc.

This will give you a decent idea if your IDC is falsely inflated or actually ~90%

OK attached are my datalogs.

Datalog1 is from tonight. WOT in 3rd.

Datalog3 is from back in March. WOT in 4th.

I notice the fine knock and DAM of .94 which I don't love. I also notice that my target boost is not 17.3 as my tuner told me. My IDC also seems to peak at 83% on this one.

What are your interpretations, thoughts, concerns?

Thanks.

datalog1.csv

datalog3.csv

OK attached are my datalogs.

Datalog1 is from tonight. WOT in 3rd.

Datalog3 is from back in March. WOT in 4th.

I notice the fine knock and DAM of .94 which I don't love. I also notice that my target boost is not 17.3 as my tuner told me. My IDC also seems to peak at 83% on this one.

What are your interpretations, thoughts, concerns?

Thanks.

Nothing alarming to my limited experience, I would try rolling into the throttle more as opposed to being 100% throttle below say 3krpm. That might be the source of the fkl and reduced DAM. You could also reload the tune and see if it's just a matter of changing weather or fuel blends.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Weather does make a huge difference. When I'm on my way to work in the morning at ~80 degrees I swear it has 20% more power than when I leave at 110 degrees.

IAT and various other Temp compensation tables...

Even in stock form the amount of timing that's pulled out up top is fairly high

and if the t00ner had his way, potentially more is pulled out.

Whether that's good or bad is a personal opinion.

We went to check out an Ascent today, literally right off the truck, not even through pdi. Both me and the wife oscillated between impressed and let down. Mind you we couldn't drive it yet.

Drivers are is well laid out and very visually pleasing, steering wheel looks like the sti one maybe a bit less sporty but definitely nicer then my lgt.

Standard towing package and hatch is quick up and down compared to our odyssey.

Definitely looks like a bigger outback, which is not a bad thing.

Dislikes

Size not even close to competing with any minivan, but seating is well laid out and even my 6' 1" 240lb body got into the 3rd row easily.

2nd row seats don't stay at the adjusted space when you release the to get to the 3rd row. But I could easily sit back there and comfortably even though it was tight. This is a solid 6 seater or 4 adults with 3 kids out of car seats.

Cargo room is at a premium, not unexpected but still disappointing again compared to our odyssey.

Bottom line, no deal breakers but we need to put some carseats in it and test drive it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I checked out an Ascent for the first time the other day. Those boys are BIG in person. I will say, they're pretty nice at first glance. Still not a fan of the rear end, but it seems like a well-equipped, comfortable, attractive family hauler. I quite like the interior. Was also shocked how much space it felt like there was in the engine bay. Still would've liked to see these with maybe 300 hp/tq.