LegacyGT.com

5eat center diffrential bulletproofing how to

frank_ster

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can do the mod probably in 2 hours. also i want to replace the "pin" with a solid pin.. but them i'm concerned with oiling .. i want to think about it some more .. i have not tryed the full on 19 lbs boost sitting still in first gear yet with this set up.. i'm kind of scared to. cuz bang and 1200$ of shit is gone..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

lol well i have looked 3 days to find my broom, only to find out that my older brother took to to another farm to sweep hay off a wagon!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

:dm: gigady ! Just found that emoticon

how old are you ? 16! 18 allright MOM! oh i like where this is going gig a dee

• 1 month later...
I figured that but I basically have no clue what im looking at lol... You think if I took this thread to a a transmission shop they would know what to do?

-Pierce

I think if you cleared up any specific specification questions with Frankster, and took that to a machine shop, got the bushings made, and then took them to a trans shop, the trans shop would be able to install them if you do your due diligence and say exactly what they are for, specifying that the center dif can be pulled without dropping the transmission (save you some install $$$ there if the tech is not familiar).

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 month later...

Frankster I started another thread and am adding a link to this thread in it.

Link to new thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-mad-scientist-idea-test-133715.html?p=2878188#post2878188

If you would not mind sharing all your other experiences with the 5eat as well, that would be very much appreciated. After learning more about the 5eat, I see exactly what you have done here and I will try to replicate it in the future, assuming you still have the specs :).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 year later...

Wow amazing what you can learn in a year. Now this all looks very easy to do, especially with my center diff already on the table. Frank, to replicate these bearings, is it as simple as measuring the outside diameter and length of the stock needle bearings and matching that exactly, or do you have to reduce the outside diameter slightly?

What exact inside and outside diameter and length of the dowel rods did you settle on? I would like to get a set for myself to install before I close up my rebuild!

Alright I got anxious and took measurements.

Summary of Proposed Bearing Measurements:

O.D. 0.665" - 0.000" to 0.001"

I.D. 0.469" + 0.004" to 0.005"

Length = ~ 1.9"

Good material option http://www.mcmaster.com/#8971K241

There are three components:

Outside piece is the planet gear.

Center bearing section (inside the gear) is the following: two needle bearing cages with a metal spacer inbetween them.

Inside those bearings with solid ring inbetween is a pin with an oiling orifice inlet and two oiling orifices outletting one into each of the two needle bearings.

(Just saying it for the crowd).

I.D. of the gear is 0.665"

O.D. of the middle ring is 0.660"

I.D. of the solid ring is irrelevant since it has a gap between it and the pin (assuming for more oil capacity).

O.D. of pin is 0.468"

I suspect the pin (which was drilled and then plugged to have a hollow inner for oiling) dowel wall thickness is 0.137"

Gear side length is 1.998"

Bearing/ring stack length is 1.875"

Along the length of the pin, measuring from the snap ring end:

first oiling orifice is 0.768" inward.

second oiling orifice is 1.887" inward.

Distance from snap ring end of pin to shelf below it is 0.101"

So, the distance between the gear I.D. and the center ring O.D. is 0.005"

So 2 Questions:

1) Should the bushing be designed to rotate against the gear, or the pin?

My uneducated guess is it should rotate against the pin since the pin has oiling orifices. Also it's cheaper to replace worn pins than worn gears.

2) What should the clearance be between the 'gear and bushing outside', and the pin and bushing inside?

I know Frankster has the answer already, but I also want to learn about this from the helpful engineers/knowledgeable people in here (including but not limited to Frankster).

My guess is to make the O.D. of the bushing .001" or .0005" less than the I.D. of the planet gear, and slide it in with some vaseline (commonly used for AT parts assembly).

My guess is to make the I.D. of the bushing that will theoretically float on a film of oil to be.... no idea.... 0.002"-0.005"?

I also like the idea of cross drilling the outlet orifices of the pins, so instead of being:

-O-

it would be

-O-

'

for more evenly distributed oil flow, if that makes any difference. Not sure if it's even worth it, but I do plan to put an awful lot of torque through these pins via full boost launches.

Per frankster, bronze or brass something soft like that is the winning material.

And yes, these are easier to replace, just takes a little time and some care.

Frankster messaged me back a better answer than my guessing.

bring planet gear and pin to a machine shop.

Have OD of bushing be .000-.003 so it just fits in.

Have ID of the bushing be .005-.008.

Now to find a machine shop that won't kill me on price...

Frankster messaged me back a better answer than my guessing.

bring planet gear and pin to a machine shop.

Have OD of bushing be .000-.003 so it just fits in.

Have ID of the bushing be .005-.008.

Now to find a machine shop that won't kill me on price...

don't cross drill the pin .. the pin is the weak link !!!

check mc master carr for bushing that is close buy stock and maybe with sand paper or drill press you can make em fit .. save you some money ..

So the replacement bushings are holding up well? That's fantastic. Good job!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ah cool. A part of me also wants to treat the pins... But then a part of me always wants to overdo everything.

they are already hardened .. better solution would be to replace them with solid pins. and drill the gears on the outside to let oil in .. ..

but don't forget these nearly never turn ! ..

and my reasherch on cryo treated parts is that they do not become stronger only better wear characteristics ..

Another thought was a circular groove on the inside of the bushing, lining up with each orifice. But that would probably be a real pain. Or lathe a groove around the outlet oil orifices of the pin. But that would weaken the pin. Probably no need for any of it. Thanks for all the info Frankster.

Edit: The gears don't meet with the pool of ATF that the pins extend into.

yea i have about 15 000 km on that bushing set.

yea don't put a grove ! omg the pins will snap looking at them !

you can simply take a screw drive and put a helical scratch on the inside of the bushing.

this will act as a oil pump and prevent oil from sitting in the middle and cooking.

not that there is a chance of this , but why not ..

I like the helical drain path idea... With .005"+ of clearance, you are right it will do little since that is enough room for oil to flow out. But that is still the best idea yet...