LegacyGT.com

[How-To] Clutch Damper Valve Delete

Uhhhh. 5th Gen uses a completely different MC than all other Subarus, with a separate damper, it's not built in to the MC. I think you're in the wrong section. Thanks tho.

Theres a reason I quoted the post I did...

Also i was asking about someone ether doing it themselves or giving up their old damper to be investigated as its the same valve... which is only in 5th gens.

Thanks tho...

Edited by Sparkey
05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

I've never had so much frustration and inconsistency with a clutch in my life.

I finally got rid of the inconsistency by first doing this damper valve delete mod, and then replace that hose clutch. That sucker was actually leaking juuuuust enough to make changing gear a wrestling match :mad:. Just replaced this hose last week. Man, I enjoy driving the car now.

What does any of this have to do with the 5th Gen? Nothing. As I said our MC and damper setup is like no other Subaru, not 4th Gen LGT or WRX.

4th Genners, please stop mucking up this thread with irrelevant banter.

What does any of this have to do with the 5th Gen? Nothing. As I said our MC and damper setup is like no other Subaru, not 4th Gen LGT or WRX.

4th Genners, please stop mucking up this thread with irrelevant banter.

Oh im sorry, I thought this topic was Clutch Damper valve delete to achieve a better clutch... my mistake.

I didnt know it was frowned upon to discuss things :rolleyes:

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Oh im sorry, I thought this topic was Clutch Damper valve delete to achieve a better clutch... my mistake.

This is the 5th gen specific thread on damper deletes. When I read your initial post, I went to the parts site I usually use and the clutch MC they list for our cars is the WRX one. So I assumed incorectly the part had been superseded, but it appears to just be listed incorrectly in the link I pasted above.

I think if you search nasioc you could find some help with your MC.

Gteaser, I will delete my earlier posts to remove any confusion. I will also send an email to subaruonlineparts.com and let them know their listing is incorrect.

Trying to talk damper deletes between 4th and 5th Gen platforms is like trying to discuss turbos or gauge clusters as if they were interchangeable between the two models.

If you want to know all about the clutch damper that is applicable to your exact model, you should start a thread in the 4th Gen section, I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback and suggestions and discussion from the 4th Gen guys, and maybe even someone who will donate their old MC to you to dissect. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
My clutch feels pretty soft compared to other Subarus I've driven so maybe that's why I don't think too much about it. It's the fx300, no complaints really. Then again lots of my miles are highway rather than 1-2-3 shifts all over around town

My clutch feels pretty soft compared to other Subarus I've driven so maybe that's why I don't think too much about it. It's the fx300, no complaints really. Then again lots of my miles are highway rather than 1-2-3 shifts all over around town

It's not about how soft or hard it is, its about gaining a positive, stationary engagement point in the clutch pedal stroke instead of the floating one that the damper causes. You'll have have to learn how to drive your car again. :lol: But it's sooooo worth it from the standpoints of enjoyment, driveability and clutch disc life.

It's not about how soft or hard it is, its about gaining a positive, stationary engagement point in the clutch pedal stroke instead of the floating one that the damper causes. You'll have have to learn how to drive your car again. :lol: But it's sooooo worth it from the standpoints of enjoyment, driveability and clutch disc life.

100% true. Its the one positive thing about that stupid clutch pivot fork breaking. I did this mod when I replaced the slave cylinder. This mod made the clutch feel like a manual is supposed to.

100% true. Its the one positive thing about that stupid clutch pivot fork breaking. I did this mod when I replaced the slave cylinder. This mod made the clutch feel like a manual is supposed to.
I just talked to the guy I bought the ZHP from. He did the CDV delete on it several years ago.

here are the pictures from my JDM BR9 RHD I was in a rush so there not the best.if needed I will take some more Tuesday.i have a push rod connected to the clutch pedal that goes through the firewall, Am I right in thinking that round thing is the clutch damper?should be easy to remove and use a brake line adapter

DSC-1154.jpg

DSC-1161.jpg

DSC-1162.jpg

Edited by JDMBR9

They put it in the engine bay? They must have been playing a trick on us in NA with it under the dash.

Not really any tricks going on here. There is room along the firewall in the RHD cars because the clutch master cylinder is inboard of the brake booster and master cylinder, so they are able to use a more traditional clutch master cylinder that is located in the engine bay. On our LHD cars, the left side strut tower leaves no room for the clutch master cylinder to be located left of the brake booster and master cylinder, so we are stuck with the solution that sees the clutch master in the footwell. Just the physical constraints of the packaging.

I suppose Subaru could have switched the damper to the engine compartment and the union that we use to replace it to the footwell up under the dash, but then they wouldn't have really been aware that we were going to want to delete the damper.

Edited by GTEASER

here are the pictures from my JDM BR9 RHD I was in a rush so there not the best.if needed I will take some more Tuesday.i have a push rod connected to the clutch pedal that goes through the firewall, Am I right in thinking that round thing is the clutch damper?should be easy to remove and use a brake line adapter

DSC-1154.jpg

DSC-1161.jpg

DSC-1162.jpg

That is indeed the damper, and you can replace it with the OEM union part that we use on the USDM cars. I will be curious if you need to grind the side of the union to get it sit flush on the bracket like we do.

is there another oem union in the engine bay? getting a new sent over from usa is going to be expensive. if there is I could get one from a scraped legacy, or if the union is just a joiner I could use a brake line joiner.

anyone know the thread size?

thanks for all your help

is there another oem union in the engine bay? getting a new sent over from usa is going to be expensive. if there is I could get one from a scraped legacy, or if the union is just a joiner I could use a brake line joiner.

thanks for all your help

There is on the USDM cars, not sure about JDM...? I wondering if you could find one on a scrapped WRX in your area?

thanks for all your help

You RHD guys don't have need for the union in your clutch setup, so I doubt there is one on your car. The part number of the union that is the direct replacement for the damper is in the 1st post. Go order it from your local dealer, I bet they can get it.

You could also just use a generic union or hose segment and loop it if it's too long. I'm pretty sure the threads are m10x1.0 double flare fittings. You could try something like this.

639cb5e540d12dceca47e43f8c275d2e.jpg