LegacyGT.com

2010 lgt 6mt shifter neutral spring?

Recently, I've been dealing with the issue of the shifter not returning to a neutral position when you are shifting gears.

For instance, when I am in 5th gear and want to either downshift or put it in neutral, the shifter doesn't spring back to the neutral position. Instead, it kinda stays in the 5th gear area. It only happens on the right side gears of the shifter (gears 5&6). The left side (gears 1&2) springs back fine.

Does anybody know if there is a spring or something that is related to it that can be replaced? It otherwise shifts fine. Just makes downshifting kinda annoying.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

I did shifter twice in 5th Gen's 6MT (Installed STS and removed it for selling) and I don't think it has springs. I wonder if your shifter mechanism just need to be lubricated. I also wonder if the lower cover could be rusted (if you live in snow area) and allowed dirt to get in. I know mine got a little rusty after 4 years on a New England daily driver.

Thanks. I will try cleaning and lubricating it first. And yes, I do live in an area that uses salt like no tomorrow. @ NVAKeith, if you can take pictures that would be awesome.

Thanks

As FLLegacy pointed out, there is one spring the controls the left/right return to center. Those pics are how it should look (minus the debris stuck in the grease). The spring has a rubber sleeve on each end.

The spring is stretched open when moving the shifter side to side. Here’s a Pic from the bottom when in reverse. See the spring pushed down by that white plastic piece, if the spring isn’t on that white plastic piece the shifter won’t return to center from reverse but it will still return to center from 1st/2nd assuming the top of the spring is still in place as it should be. I could see this small white plastic retainer breaking off and giving the symptoms you are experiencing.

6381697e3e97ea6a426e7ed69fe988e3.jpg