LegacyGT.com

06 legacy gt hard starting and doesnt stay running

Hey I just picked up this legacy. It's got a 2014 sti block with a new vf52 turbo, Apexi air filter, Gfb hybrid bov, perrin tmic, invidia turbo back exhaust and grimmspeed boost controller with cobb accessport. I just replaced the turbo because it was blowing oil bad. I also replaced the fuel pump with a dw65c just because the guy I got the car from thought that was the problem. I flashed it with a cobb stage 2 map just to see if that was the problem AMD that didnt help at all. I've never ran the car till yesterday and it wont start. I can get it to start if I give it full throttle but it does right when I let off the gas. Yesterday a i drove it around my neighborhood but it was sputtering at any rpm below boost. In boost it seemed fine. But anytime I upshifts It would bog down and die. Now it wont start at all. I've had 2 06 wrxs before so I'm familiar with ej25s. Please help

So this car has the 5eat tranny ?

There's a thread in the 4th Gen forum where they think the valve body may be the issue.

May be this may help. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-dies-stopping-282150.html

I'm not a 5eat guy.

Post you issue in the 4th Gen forum.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I guess you know you need a custom tune for that turbo.

Here's the service manual for you,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Here's another thread that may have some ideas...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-help-car-shakes-like-washining-machine-out-balance-282117.html

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

No I have a 5 manual. I wont buy an automatic car haha

The old turbo blew oil bad so I'm thinking there's oil in the intercooler and all through the throttle body. Pulled out the new plugs I put in and they were covered in dry oil. I'm gonna clean all of the system and try some seafoam cleaner. Then if that doesnt fix it I'll test the coil packs.

I know I need a tune. I just wanna make sure the car runs decent before I get it tuned and have more problems

Will be interesting to hear how much oil is in the tmic and TB area.

Be careful with that PITA hose to the TB, it can be a nightmare to get back on correctly.

While the tmic is off check your PCV to make sure it rattles when you shake it.

Edited by Max Capacity

Other standard things is to make sure the MAF is clean and air filter is in good shape.

I spray my MAF sensor with MAF cleaner once or twice a year.

Tmic had about a pint of oil in it. It was pretty full. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to see what's in the cylinders. Its fouling the plugs right away. And I'm also getting a knocking now. That's the part that's worrying me I'm gonna take a bunch of stuff apart and see how much I can clean and check.

If you pull the intake manifold, pull it at the heads to TGV's. Remove the fuel lines at the shock tower, don't mess with those QD's.

Make sure the o-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's are the larger orange ones.

So I took out the pcv valve. It was plugged up solid. Idk if that was my only problem but I have a new one on the way. Along with the gasket for the turbo to tmic. Should both be here tmrw then I will try to start her up again and see how it goes

• 2 weeks later...
Just to keep everyone updated. I put the valve and new gasket in. Started it up and my gauge went from 40 to 0 in about a minute for oil pressure. And the knocking got louder. Took out the pump and replaced the pickup. Figured something was wrong with the oil. Everything was fine. Put back together and started it up this morning. The knock is even louder. Started looking at videos on YouTube. Sounds just like every other rod knock video. So now I'm preparing to take out the engine and RIP it apart. Not happy about it

Sorry to hear that but it's good you got it figured out. This seems to be an almost daily occurrence with new 4th gen owners. I'm sure you know but you can pick up an IAG shortblock for around 3k and get your heads refreshed.

Make sure the banjo filters get removed before you assemble everything. If they're still there, it's almost a guarantee they will be plugged.