LegacyGT.com

High mileage timing belt change & maintenance - what to buy?

Hey guys - I'm getting ready to do some overdue maintenance to my 97 Legacy GT w/the 2.5L DOHC. I know it's not a "new" LGT, though my 06 will be getting the timing belt and some other maintenance soon, but was looking for some general tips on other maintenance to do while I'm in there. The car has over 270K miles and it's been a while since the timing belt was changed, probably at least 100K.

Right now I'm planning to replace the timing belt, water pump, idlers, pulleys, etc. It has a nasty oil leak from somewhere on the bottom of the engine, probably either the oil pan or the rear main seal, that I need to fix.

What other stuff should I look to do while I've got it apart? I've read something about cam seals and such? Maybe the oil pump would be worthwhile? Any other thoughts?

I think you're on the right path with your list. I would replace the cam sprockets while you are in there. Oil pump is probably a good idea, 200k is a lot on one, as well as the cam seals. The sprockets failed and killed my 97 OB with the DOHC. I should have done them when I had it apart.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will plan on doing the sprockets and will at a minimum order the OEM cam seals & rear main oil seal. Looks like Advance Auto has a good selection of gaskets that I can get as-needed too.

Any other tips for a high mileage tuneup, send em my way! Thanks all

Archived