LegacyGT.com

5EAT brake-torque launch vs. 5MT launch

I went out the other night on an abandoned stretch of road in order to try a brake-torque launch with my 5EAT.

I have 2 words- holy nuts.

I have done a few launches in an MT, and I really think the 5EAT brake-torque launches are similar in speed.

Has anyone ever done a GTECH on a 5MT launch vs. a torqued 5EAT launch?

I think the results might be surprising.

Yeah, I've done this a bunch. I love it and I'm at bone stock. What is great is that the tires actually chirp. I usually try it at around 3300 rpm, because I am usually at a light and cars behind me. Everyone that has a 5EAT should try it one time.

why does that not sound healthy in the slightest bit though?? (not that these clutch dropping manual launches are....)

^ Just watch your ATF to be sure that it hasn't gone bad - I wouldn't make routine back-to-back stoplight-to-stoplight power-brake launches, but once in a while, it'll be as OK as slipping the clutch.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

So what's the consensus on how often it is okay(relatively safe) to brake torque the 5EATs? Once or twice a week maybe, more or less?

I'm at Stage 2 but have yet to brake torque it due to stage fright.

I'd like to try to chirp the tires at least once :icon_bigg

~Will

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

Yeah, I've tried to research it as much as possible, and from what I can tell, as long as you aren't doing it too much, it shouldn't be a problem.

Frankly, I'd be a little worried about making multiple drag runs in succession using this technique without installing an auxiliary aftermarket tranny cooler. (I think we have one already, but I'd probably feel more confident with additional cooling.)

Also, a lot of what I have read indicates that TB launches are easier on an AT than side-stepping the clutch in a MT. I think the idea is that the drivetrain takes less abuse with an AT....

Has anyone ever done a GTECH on a 5MT launch vs. a torqued 5EAT launch?

Brother wukindada recently quoted, in-turn an official (SoA product literature) quote, of 0-60 times as-follows:

5MT: 5.7 seconds

5EAT: 6.0 seconds

Even taking these values at face-value, what one should realize is that although .3 seconds can seem like an eternity on-paper, when it comes down to stoplight-to-stoplight sprints or a blast out of the toll-booth, this is truly "neck-and-neck" stuff.

The 5EAT pairing of our LGT powertrain is really, in my humble opinion, a very good one - there's no doubt in my mind that "even the slushbox LGTs" are quite the fast little sedans, and every bit as sporty as their row-it-yourself counterparts.

I opted for the 5MT simply out of my desire for more driving "connection" and joy - performance in those tenths of seconds was never my consideration. I drive stick because I like to drive stick, and that's all. :)

Plenty of other 5EAT owners here have put down excellent times on the strip. :icon_bigg

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Brother wukindada recently quoted, in-turn an official (SoA product literature) quote, of 0-60 times as-follows:

5MT: 5.7 seconds

5EAT: 6.0 seconds

Even taking these values at face-value, what one should realize is that although .3 seconds can seem like an eternity on-paper, when it comes down to stoplight-to-stoplight sprints or a blast out of the toll-booth, this is truly "neck-and-neck" stuff.

The 5EAT pairing of our LGT powertrain is really, in my humble opinion, a very good one - there's no doubt in my mind that "even the slushbox LGTs" are quite the fast little sedans, and every bit as sporty as their row-it-yourself counterparts.

I opted for the 5MT simply out of my desire for more driving "connection" and joy - performance in those tenths of seconds was never my consideration. I drive stick because I like to drive stick, and that's all. :)

Plenty of other 5EAT owners here have put down excellent times on the strip. :icon_bigg

That was the most unbiased thing a MT user ever said about the 5EAT, I think I'm gonna cry.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

^ ROFL :lol: I've long maintained that in various "5MT vs. 5EAT" threads. :) I think I just have a mellow outlook on life. :)

Seriously, the 5EAT LGTs are quick vehicles, no doubt about it. Keeping every other factor the same, if I had to go up against a fellow LGT brother or sister in their 5EAT slushbox LGT, I'd be very worried that my clutch-and-stick (including launch) skills simply aren't up to par - or that I might just botch the launch/miss a gear. They're fast - and consistently so - and that's what impresses me.

Now, that's definitely not to say that I like all slushboxes.....the one in my wifey's Rex, I *hate* with a passion, at least whe the A/C's running, that is - makes the vehicle a total dog until the turbo spools! :(

I keep wondering why (rhetorical question) Scooby doesn't pair the new WRX, using the 2.5L engine, with the 5EAT found in the LGT. Now *that*, I would seriously make the wife consider trading-in her 2.0L 4EAT WRX!

It is all about shockload and high torque spikes, which leads to things breaking and is only relevant to slipping/side-stepping in manual transmissions.

When brake torquing, as far as I know, the parts involved are:

- Flywheel

- Torque converter cover

- ATF fluid

- Torque converter turbine

- Transmission shaft/gears

- Differentials

- Axles

- CV

- Disk rotor/pad

- Tires

Of those the parts that take the beating are the CVs and ATF fluid, with the latter doing most of the work. The wear/tear/strain on these 2 components is high and accelerated when you're waiting for the last 1-2 seconds for the RPMs to rise at a logarithmic(inverse exponential) rate. The ATF fluid can be enhanced with a dedicated cooler and synthetic ATF. The CVs can be enhanced with stronger parts if needed.

Now that period of time you're waiting for the RPMs to rise can be reduced by employing a higher stall TQ, which allows you to reach higher RPMs and into boost in less time than the stock TQ and therefore reduces the strain exerted on the drivetrain's components.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I keed I keeed

First of all if you find you brktqe the car AT ALL...install a tranny cooler.

A 50.00 aftermarket item that could save you thousands, it really does make a world of a difference.

When I was stock I could not get my car to brktqe past 3000-3200 under ANY conditions. One mod changed that...A lightweight pulley set after that install the car could rev to 3600-3800.

Mods being equal on a Stage I equipped car, the AT will put down a quicker 60ft time (magic tqe converter) but the MT will always nip it in the end:eek:

Now throw in a aftermarket trq converter and the whole race could be a different story.

I might only powerbrake the Leggy maybe once every other month but @ the stage the car is currently at it can launch at 3900.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I like the obligatory "abandoned stretch of road" disclaimer so he doesn't get flamed for dragging.

I personally would have put "school zone at 3pm"

If you search my posts, you'll see I am notorious for laying into people about driving like a jackass around other people and/or pedestrians.

When I was 15 my dad almost got us killed when he decided to race some guy in our Eclipse GSX. We were approaching a blind-uphill-left-turn and my dad decided it would be a great time to pass the guy by entering the oncoming lane. (Yeah. Genius, huh?)

Ergo, I don't do stupid shit like that. If I am going to run, I have a few roads I know have no access between 2 points, and I make a pass first to make sure there are no people or animals around. (Lots of cats in this area.)

I did the pass and limited access thing out in AZ on a dirt road switchback, friend at bottom of hill with a radio. All is fine and good scooting your 5mt 2000 2.5rs down the hill until he starts flirting with one of the UofA girls and neglects to mention the sentra coming up the switchback at 10mph.

Had to take the dirt berm to avoid thier car as I was doing 30ish...

Moral of the story: Make sure your radio man is a goofy looking bastard that no women would talk too... Like me!

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Archived