LegacyGT.com

Wiper Defrost Question

Went out and checked and there is a little orange-ish light that indicates that the defroster is on. I never really paid attention to see if there was a light.

Its an interesting feature, but I still question the utility of it. I don't notice any difference whether its on or off vs. the regular windshield defrost.

It's cool; I'm with the band

IMO, yes it should. Mine does in my 05GT

Read the owners manual. 05's only run for 15 minutes unless you have the dealer override it. There is also something about outside air temp too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I use it from time to time because its there, but I can't tell any real difference between that and the regular full windshield defrost. I mean the windshield defrosts from the bottom up anyway, so I haven't noticed anything special.
It's cool; I'm with the band

It also depends on the type of wipers you have. If you have the bridge/truss style, the defroster doesn't work very well. If you have the Bosch Icon style, the defroster will save the day on snowy days.

I notice on mine, sometimes I have to hold the button in for a second and then it will come on, almost like it's waiting for the holding contactor to pull in.

I questioned the utility of it when I bought my car (I was in NC at the time) the sales lady said she uses it more for defogging the windows.. I have noticed it will actually work quite well for that while the engine is warming up....

I have also noticed if you start the car and let it run for a minute or two with a little (<1") of snow on the window you can see def melting snow where the heater is... I wanted to see if it really did anything... low and behold it did.

But to answer your main question, in my '08 yes it does light up.

On Canadian cars and any others that have the 'cold weather package', the same button will control the heat for the sideview mirrors as well.

You'll see the element on the windshield where the wipers rest if you have the heated windshield - looks like rear window defrost elements but thicker.

I questioned the utility of it when I bought my car (I was in NC at the time) the sales lady said she uses it more for defogging the windows.. I have noticed it will actually work quite well for that while the engine is warming up....

The sales lady is clueless. The function of the windshield elements is to melt snow and improve wiper performance not to defrost the windows. Using the function without snow to absorb the heat risks cracking the glass. Plenty of posts on that.

There is a light on the button and it is pretty useful - it won't melt a foot if ice, but it works faster than the HVAC defrost at least until the coolant gets up to operating temperature.

My god, the light on that button must get hot...

It is still ugly.

Is this different between OB's and Legacys? In the OB the windshield and side mirrors are on that switch, the rear window defrost is on its own switch.

Side mirrors are connected to the rear defroster on the USDM, its not a separate switch like the wiper one.

Archived