LegacyGT.com

Charge Pipe upgrades

After splitting my stock charge pipe this weekend, I am trying to wrap my head around what fits my Legacy GT.

My car doesn't have many mods, it has a Cobb AP with a custom dyno tune, Turbosmart Kompact BPV, 3 port EBCS, and catback exhaust. I am not planning on upgrading my factory IC.

The AVO Silicon Charge Pipe seems to be discontinued, same goes the Racer-X charge pipes.

I think the 15+ WRX CP are close. I know BPV mount is different, but I am not sure what exactly is needed to adapt them or how exactly how the charge pipe fitment is. What is everyone using?

Edited by dgoodhue

The 15+ WRX turbo compressor outlet is also rotated and angled differently. Somewhere on here is a picture of their stock charge pipe next to ours and the difference is apparent.

I have wondered if the Perrin charge pipe for the WRX would work, but I do not believe anyone has tried it yet.

the fa20 wrx charge side is at a different angle as already mentioned. I haven't changed my charge pipe but from what I see as long as the flange for the turbo isn't fixed to the pipe itself it should be close enough to good enough. so AEM is a no go. but i would think grimmspeed or maybe nameless would work. please speak up if im wrong. im currently browsing and would like to know

the fa20 wrx charge side is at a different angle as already mentioned. I haven't changed my charge pipe but from what I see as long as the flange for the turbo isn't fixed to the pipe itself it should be close enough to good enough. so AEM is a no go. but i would think grimmspeed or maybe nameless would work. please speak up if im wrong. im currently browsing and would like to know

I am working on getting a RacerX charge pipe. If that doesn't work or falls through, I was looking at the various WRX FA20DIT charge pipes and was thinking about hunting to buy some used WRX ones this winter to try the fitment. A pipe like MAP performance that is sold from the turbo mount to pipe obviously isn't going to work. I was thinking the Grimmspeed CP look promising, because it has quite a bit of silicon hose, that should allow for adjustment.

I am working on getting a RacerX charge pipe. If that doesn't work or falls through, I was looking at the various WRX FA20DIT charge pipes and was thinking about hunting to buy some used WRX ones this winter to try the fitment. A pipe like MAP performance that is sold from the turbo mount to pipe obviously isn't going to work. I was thinking the Grimmspeed CP look promising, because it has quite a bit of silicon hose, that should allow for adjustment.

I bought a used 15+ WRX Process West charge pipe as it was a local used part from a Subie group I am in.

The turbo section or where BPV attaches fit fine for me and I have a GFB 100% recirv BPV on it.

However, what wont work is that the 15+WRX upper pipe is too short in the area near the passenger radiator fan section.

The Process West has 2 hard pipe sections. One that connects to the turbo outlet silicone section. The other from that hard pipe to another hard pipe that leads to the TMIC.

I found that you would need a long silicone hose or connector to join the 2 hard pipes in order to join the 2 hard pipes in order to clear the area around the coolant hose/passanger radiator fan section.

It can be done, but living in Hawaii, I would have to order on ebay/amazon for a 2.5" id silicone hose with the right bends to join the 2 hard pipes together in this section or area.

Wouldnt be worth the trouble really for Stage 2 parts and a PDX Cobb protune I have now..

Also, FWIW, the fitment of the AVO chargepipe is terrible. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept the OEM and simply cut off the intercooler-connection end and bridge this area with a 6-inch silicone coupler. Instead, I have wrestled with the AVO-chargepipe half dozen times to get it to somewhat align with the turbo outlet without jacking-up the BPV connection. In fact, I have swapped the connection from the inlet pipe to BPV with a bent silicone coupler to relieve the mess, but it is still a frigg'n mess that is all caused by the AVO chargepipe.

• 6 months later...