LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

So who's going to be the first to trade up for the 2020?

I do want something bigger. But,don't want to spend $40k on another car.

And honestly, really not a fan of Subaru turbo engines anymore. They are "fine." But, even when they are "proven" they have well known / documentation failures.

if you could get anything but a rice'd up impreza sedan with a manual 2.5 turbo (STI), i'd be stongly considering, but alas. if they had a hatch even, that might be enough to get me thinking.

i think i'll get some plain jane wagon next. maybe a hatch. Wife has a pilot, so there isn't much of a need for a large wagon, depending on some minimum rear seat and cargo area conditions.

but i'll probably have the wagon for a while longer. no reason to change, not even if the motor gave out. it still works well and is comfy. newer cars will cost $ and probably won't be as nice.

As for cars, they all have their standard list of issues. At least we know the weak points of the older gen subarus. no one is perfect.

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

What's with the square hole in the skid plate?

It's like an absorbent pad that was on it when I got it.

A guy I talked to, who is a Subaru instructor, said there's already issues with them. One came in with 15 miles on it with transmission issues. I was going to get a new Crosstrek instead of the Outback I got now and I was just hearing too many issues with the CVT I decided to go used.

Edited by mikkyk97

A guy I talked to, who is a Subaru instructor, said there's already issues with them. One came in with 15 miles on it with transmission issues. I was going to get a new Crosstrek instead of the Outback I got now and I was just hearing too many issues with the CVT I decided to go used.

Uh Oh...

I'm intrigued by it. Took a good look at one and the interior is one hell of an upgrade. Best Subaru seats I've felt would be great for daily driving and long trips. The whole turbo/cvt thing does have me on the fence too. Was going to go drive one, they wouldn't let me since they were all sold, and then compare it to an 18-19 3.6r. the extra amenities, comfort, MPGs, towing capacity. All are high points for me. My habits say to get a truck. However a 35g+ vehicle for say 18-mpg as a daily would eat me up in fuel costs. Not that my 3.0r does crazy good. It's about 22.5 combined. I can't take the leap to a 4runner because that's even worse

Just walked by an Ascent on the way out of Costco. Looks like a fat Outback to me, and the later Gen has put a few pounds on already. My daughter did her announcer voice "Room for Seven"... The cars just seem to keep getting bigger. Counter intuitive to curbing emissions. The other thing is the direct injectors, that is a issue for all unfortunately, but then again so is the CVT BS.

I'm more inclined to wait for that right 3.6r with the 5EAT to come up on the used market.

Not that I'm in the market. But always looking.

Having a small 4x4 truck has helped spread the miles out a bit. The truck is a little better on mileage cause I don't flog it like the XT. Nice to run on regular for a change as well.

Just walked by an Ascent on the way out of Costco. Looks like a fat Outback to me, and the later Gen has put a few pounds on already... The cars just seem to keep getting bigger. Counter intuitive to curbing emissions. The other thing is the direct injectors, that is a issue for all unfortunately, but then again so is the CVT BS.

I'm more inclined to wait for that right 3.6r with the 5EAT to come up on the used market.

You're not kidding. Ascents are quickly replacing a large number of already bloated 4th gen outbacks in the L.A. area. I laugh every time I hear the ad on the radio "Introducing our largest vehicle EVAR"... Hard to believe that's a selling point...

These manufacturers all seem to be in a competition to make the most unappealing, and unenthusiastic vehicles imaginable. I really don't know what the obxt replacement will be for me but I doubt it'll be the unsporty 4thgen outback.

The more and more reviews I watch from YouTube it's seems it's 50/50 if they're sold on the cvt. The 'false' gears seem to be better with the paddle shifters than expected. Only complaints I've really seen is from the heat warmers, they're not a button. They have to be turned on 2 steps of the touch screen. Also that the AC operation may be too low on the panel.

Seats, along with comfort and ride quality. Quieter sounds, numeroud compliments on eyesight and adjusting it, space and functionality are all at the top. Still the #1 selling wagon so can't argue with that. Just Subaru upping their game against the more luxury manufacturers. Nice for Subaru to break the stereotype

Wow, those are cheap! Motegi had a wheel called the Tracklite, that I was looking at because they were pretty light for the cost. These look similar, but there is no weight listed. But I wonder if these are the next generation of the Tracklite. If so, I'd probably get them.

As far ast hem being 19s, they would look good if you were lowered enough. But I think you'd probably have to be pretty low to balance out the wheel gap and the sidewall.

19s? Dang. You won't hit the dirt roads anymore with these though.

Well for winter I wouldnt be too concerned for the few hundred miles I'd be on ice/snow covered dirt roads. I drive about 2200-2800 miles monthly. I have some Hakkapelitta snow tires I got brand new with studs from a trade in BMW x5 for free. So score for me. I don't want to put them on my new 57extremes and rrun them for winter that I have on my 5thgen. It would suck if I slid and hit a curb. Might be kinda of goofy with that big of a tire but I could switch between platforms. I just can't remember if they're 40 or 35 series.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303307401030

Thoughts ???

on a 19x8.5 +43 with a 255/35 or 255/40 tire?

Be put on an 08

My thoughts:

8.5 + 45 is going to need a lil fender work to sit low. and if it doesn't sit low, that thin a tire on a 19" just looks sad.

having had 225/40/18, 225/45/18, and 245/40/18 on the same wheels, springs and struts, a little bit of side wall cushion helps more than you'd think looking at.

I've put too much effort, sweat, and some $$ to the point I can't get rid of it. But an Onyx would be nice though. Still not super fond of its look. I feel Toyota and (some) Honda's new fleet look more aggressive, sporty than the newest Subarus.

I do want something bigger. But,don't want to spend $40k on another car.

And honestly, really not a fan of Subaru turbo engines anymore. They are "fine." But, even when they are "proven" they have well known / documentation failures.

if you could get anything but a rice'd up impreza sedan with a manual 2.5 turbo (STI), i'd be stongly considering, but alas. if they had a hatch even, that might be enough to get me thinking.

i think i'll get some plain jane wagon next. maybe a hatch. Wife has a pilot, so there isn't much of a need for a large wagon, depending on some minimum rear seat and cargo area conditions.

but i'll probably have the wagon for a while longer. no reason to change, not even if the motor gave out. it still works well and is comfy. newer cars will cost $ and probably won't be as nice.

As for cars, they all have their standard list of issues. At least we know the weak points of the older gen subarus. no one is perfect.

2019 VW Golf Alltrack before they're all gone. Not bigger, but nearly the same inside including cargo, with some differences in H W L. Discounted to under $25k for S models, bigger discounts for the higher models (but from a higher MSRP of course). Available with 6 speed manual, or the very very good 6 speed paddle shift DSG. You might even find a brand new 2018, and get nearly $10k off sticker....

Not bigger, but nearly the same inside including cargo, with some differences in H W L.

Just compared cargo space (doing a quick Google search) and there's 2-3 cf difference. That's quite a substantial difference. Although with the rear seats down, it is about the same (with an OB without sunroof).

Got curious and just compared 2018 outback with Tribeca cargo volume (with rear seats up):

OB --> 35.5 cf

Tribeca --> 37.6 cf

Pretty close. Amazing how the OB has kept growing...

HOWEVER, I did own a 99 before this one and recall that it felt that it had more cargo space. Just checked on cars101.com and yeah, it has 36.5 cf with seats up!!

Just compared cargo space (doing a quick Google search) and there's 2-3 cf difference. That's quite a substantial difference. Although with the rear seats down, it is about the same (with an OB without sunroof).

The Alltrack has two floor height settings. In the upper setting, the OB wins by a hair in usable space. But in the lower setting, which is ~3.5" lower, the Alltrack wins. It's perfectly function-able in the lower setting. I still haven't uncovered why it has the two levels.

I did my own measurements, averaging the narrow part between the wheel wells, and the deep part behind them, then the height with and without out the retractable cover, and depth.

But like I said, it's not bigger. If you want bigger, there's the new Outbacks!