LegacyGT.com

Dual HVAC Double Din Kit: Completed Install Thread

ksnh

Then last week when I did re-worked my interior with new carpet and other black pieces, I also re-wrapped the console in the in VVIVID Black brushed aluminum textured vinyl, and also wrapped the side wood grain trim in a dark gray.

image001.thumb.jpg.7c1428ed6d7cbc96029894c7bd50255f.jpg

image002.thumb.jpg.bf15ec00c3cd19265c8e28ae9ed8bc15.jpg

image003.thumb.jpg.abbc4c628d516a1209079d5004adb0ba.jpg

image004.thumb.jpg.a77018ffb903635c7bda651845fc5267.jpg

Edited by Blue Fox

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wired in a couple LEDs into the bottom cubby to the orange and orange/white wires on the SVXdc wire harness. They dim with the dimmer and only come on when the lights are on. I think it looks pretty cool. Gonna pick up some vinyl wrap. Satin black paint didn’t come out the way I wanted. Pretty neat install. My first time soldering/heatshrinking.

1ad50a11fee34189fbdd105e8973b457.jpg

02cb10e1ba04bccc89a2f4ec1ad5f9e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

Then last week when I did re-worked my interior with new carpet and other black pieces, I also re-wrapped the console in the in VVIVID Black brushed aluminum textured vinyl, and also wrapped the side wood grain trim in a dark gray.

That looks awesome. Great Job :D

Gonna pick up some vinyl wrap. Satin black paint didn’t come out the way I wanted. Pretty neat install. My first time soldering/heatshrinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use Matte/Flat Black vinyl wrap

• 2 weeks later...
Nice! I have to ask where you got that center console piece for the gauges.

I got it off ortizcustompods.com. Its a total replacement of the air vents and that little cubby space. They make pods for a lot of cars and places in them. You can get them for the bezel, the door, the air vents, and a bunch more. Just be aware if you do order from them it can take months to get your pod. I got lucky and they had the one I ordered on the shelf so they just had to clean it and send it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Car:

- 2005 LGT Wagon 5MT Non-LTD

Factory electronics:

- Standard radio, sub under driver's seat, no nav

- I had previously replaced the OEM speakers with Pioneer TS-A1685r speakers

Parts used:

- JDM Twin HVAC Double Din adapter (JDM part #H6217AG911 from avoJDM)

- JDM Hazard Switch (part #83037AG001 from avoJDM)

- SVXDc parts (AE64.com) - 14 pin audio cable, i88 adapter

Comments (include make/model of your aftermarket head unit if any specific integration issues):

I installed the JDM kit back in 2014 after my original 6 CD changer radio bit the dust. At that time I put in a JVC KW-R900BT CD receiver.

The JVC radio was decent enough, but after 3+ years of having it freeze up on me constantly when playing files on a USB drive, a few weeks ago I replaced it with a Kenwood DDX574BH. It has more features than I'll ever use, but so far, I am very happy with it. It works very well, and sounds way better than the JVC ever did. It seems to be a great match with the Pioneer speakers.

A big thank you to dwolson2 who started it all, as well as the countless other people who have given their input over the years. Also a big thank you to SVXdc, whose knowledge and wiring harnesses helped make the install very easy. I was quite honored to meet him in person.

The gaps around the sections aren't perfect, but I haven't been ambitious enough to mess with them. After the original install in 2014, I left the shifter bezel silver, it didn't bother me enough to try to paint anything. But, this time around, I decided to vinyl wrap the bezel using matte black wrap from VViViD. It was my first time using vinyl wrap, and I think it came out pretty well. The picture makes it look a bit glossier than it really is.

1-original.thumb.jpg.a2709f472d6f50cf4a00425bb0cd0036.jpg

1711829487_2-radio1.thumb.jpg.bfa09666731247de4678a3af1ccbbad5.jpg

3-radio2.thumb.jpg.0715697d05b546c8106b985bfaa08672.jpg

Edited by csaari

Probably a stupid question or one thats already been answered but with the JDM HVAC control panel is the driver temp control on the pass side and the pass on the driver side???

Nope, the left control does the driver's side and the right does the passenger's.

Do note that the locations of the buttons are changed, though. For example, the Auto/Off buttons are in the passenger's knob, and the front and rear defroster buttons are in the driver's side. Also the row of buttons is changed around. Everything does the function they are labeled for, it's just they're in a different place from where they were on the USDM panel. Took a little while to get used to.

• 9 months later...

Looking for a compatible headunit that works in all respects (steering wheel controls, aux jack in the armrest, factory sub in the rear etc). Does anyone know if the sony XAV-AX5000 would work? I assume the harness takes care of all the connections necessary but pretty newb to this and plus i have an outback and not a legacy. Looks like most people here are using kenwood or pioneer and not sure i thats for compatibility or just because they are better

Also not sure how the temp dials are mounted to the plate but are they swappable since we are lefty drives here?

Edited by kaitanium

Looking for a compatible headunit that works in all respects (steering wheel controls, aux jack in the armrest, factory sub in the rear etc). Does anyone know if the sony XAV-AX5000 would work? I assume the harness takes care of all the connections necessary but pretty newb to this and plus i have an outback and not a legacy. Looks like most people here are using kenwood or pioneer and not sure i thats for compatibility or just because they are better

Also not sure how the temp dials are mounted to the plate but are they swappable since we are lefty drives here?

It’s a molded unit I don’t believe they are swappable and it’s not really a big deal it just swaps the buttons not the actual temperature as previously mentioned. Crutchfield usually has the answers you’re looking for my 05 doesn’t have wheel controls.

It’s a molded unit I don’t believe they are swappable and it’s not really a big deal it just swaps the buttons not the actual temperature as previously mentioned. Crutchfield usually has the answers you’re looking for my 05 doesn’t have wheel controls.

molded, got it. which is why this thing wont work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-DIN-Car-Radio-Stereo-Faceplate-for-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-2006-2009-/153173386771?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I saw that somewhat recently too. It is doable technically but you better be a professional electronics board maker before even attempting to do such a thing

I saw that somewhat recently too. It is doable technically but you better be a professional electronics board maker before even attempting to do such a thing

dont even have confidence in wiring up my new head unit so ill stay away from that haha :lol:

That is why there’s a write up at the beginning all GTs and higher end models of the 05-09 had the digital climate controls. That unit is for the lesser models with the dials. I had an 05i and 09se that didn’t have the digital climate controls and I believe I even have one of those mounts in my collection of junk somewhere with my factory radio from my 05GT. The JDM unit is well worth it and isn’t hard to install with SVX’s adapter. Sometimes you can even find them a little cheaper from someone who’s moved on from their fourth gen legacy cause I don’t believe in the Imprezas or Foresters the climate controls were molded into the radios. I have always disliked Subaru’s infotainment unfortunately and I have two 15 3.6rs and when the factory radio ran like crap I had the dealer upgrade the firmware and now I have to take it back because it doesn’t talk to the car for monitors and lights and what not.

• 1 month later...

Finished for now. No cameras installed. USB extended to the arm rest cubby.

Need to do a couple of things next time it's open. Unit could come forward some if I slot the mounting bracket. Need a new bulb for auto position lamp.

Kenwood DVD unit, jumped the +12 Illumination O/W to the +12 on the i88 harness and worked perfect. Parking Sw wire went to ground. Well see if my daughter can watch a DVD while were driving now. I've never had this many features in a car. Time was wrong on both clocks at this point, it was 4:55. Glad it's in and working.

Was getting tired of the stock unit going through a conniption fit every so often.

First picture was in color I swear.

IMG_2798.jpg.be886985d0f3118db954bf72dc032762.jpg

1590095874_SetClock.jpg.6dfeebf4b90c71599e8b0007260db986.jpg

Edited by kzr750r1

I did a complete interior overhaul. Tan to black, complete sound deadening. Added a Maestro RR for programmable steering wheel controls and checking ECU parameters, Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX wireless CarPlay DVD/Nav HU.

Installed a backup camera to the stock nav. Rigged up an Alpine PDX-V9 900W RMS amp powering Morel Tempo Ultra 6.5” comps and JL 10w3.

As for the the center I followed the Blue Fox’s post in this thread and used VViViD Black Brushed Steel Vinyl wrap.

Used SVX’s i88, i85 w/ swc wires, and wired my own 14 pin Scosche. I’m loving the setup, the clean refreshed looks and features.

3fc70a0b14965762fc692f17325c2b5b.jpg430e84ff70d2c20cde21c0d2d7d1fb59.jpg

It’s definitely an easier vinyl to work with. I used heat to shrink and stretch around extreme bends like the center cup holder panel. Overall pretty easy.

There are minor flaws but you wouldn’t notice unless you knew what you were looking for