LegacyGT.com

Finally joined the 4th Gen Outback Clan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the easiest purchase we've ever made. Everything was well documented, the seller had the car nicely detailed and ready to go when we met up, and the transfer, total, between his bank and the DMV probably aggregated to 30 minutes.

Got to spend another 30 minutes or so after the paperwork was done, just talking about everything. Good guy - MrSubaru1387 meets SBT- really good meeting.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Congrats man! I would really love a test drive ;)

D2 and family are transferring to MDC area. We'll likely be up in the area often. Will PM you when we're heading up. Glad to have you TD SBW2. :)

Could not be happier with the Outback. Smooth, quiet, powerful - you forget how much off-the-line and up-through-the-tach grunt these 3.6s have. Only a 6MT tucked in behind one would make me happier, from a driving experience.

BTW - have been monitoring MPGs, and driving reasonably easy but nothing approaching hypermillic, SBW2 is averaging about 23MPG around town, and over 28MPG on the open highway with cruise. That's as good as the BDGT 5MT on its best day.

One thing I haven't grown to appreciate is that the collision avoidance system will "brake" going downhill in cruise, if it detects too much speed gain.

Turn off CAS, and it will coast and then smoothly add throttle to keep it at the set pace.

There may be something I haven't learned yet, about the electronics that may preclude that without turning off one or more of the systems.

Overall - really happy with the vehicle.

BTW - I'm sure it's well known and I'm just coming up to speed on the 4th Gen OB platform, but the Subaru Outback 20mm RSB kit (Bar P/N 20451VA000, and bushes P/N 20464VA000 x2) seems to be an excellent alternative to the tiny stock RSB.

Alternatively, the STI 19mm RSB Kit (Bar 20451FG020, and bushes 20464FG020 x2) is supposedly an equally good replacement. Both available from SOP.com

MrSubaru1387 ran it on non-ethanol, and that's what we're running it on. Will do an actual comp on it whe we fill up today or tomorrow.

And you've "tweaked" the OB tune correct?

MrSubaru1387 ran it on non-ethanol, and that's what we're running it on. Will do an actual comp on it whe we fill up today or tomorrow.

And you've "tweaked" the OB tune correct?

Gotcha, I only run mine on E-10, it's not worth the drive to get to ethanol free (plus it's not a Shell :lol:).

I'm actually back on stock tune, it's just not worth the head ache to mess with it. Subaru basically programmed the ECU to be a dual octane. I noticed that stock tune will eventually find it's happy place and the car will run good on 87 (and even better in the winter). But if you reset your ECU often, then your back to square one every time, and at that point it's better to start with a fine tuned base.

I basically lost all of my motivation to tinker with the Outback after the Ascent came out. I'm actually thinking about selling it before it depreciates more :-/.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

We bought the OB 3.6R to be our last, or next to last Subaru purchase, depending on whether we move to the Ascent or not. This is a pretty sweet package as is, and the only way we would really "need" an Ascent, is if we regularly (routinely) required the additional 2-3 passenger capability in that platform.

We have 80-85% of the cargo capability and 3/5 of the towing capability, on an engine/drivetrain that relishes torque loads.

Makes sense, once my kids are out of car seats Outback would be sufficient too (though 2.5i is really weak when fully loaded). I wish there was a turbo outback option with these bigger outbacks, maybe 2020 will be just that :).

22 Ascent STOCK

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that there will be a top level Outback with the 2.4DIT...coupled to the HDCVT. The 2020 Legacy will have one, so expect at least one version of the OB to have one too.

I would put a pretty fat bet on the 2020 Outback having a 2.4DIT with HDCVT. But Subaru execs did say that there is no turbo Crosstreks because the regular versions sell too well. Legacy sales have been really bad so they are hoping to improve them with a turbo version.

Anyway, I'm really curious on how 3.6r does in, the real world, gas mileage wise compared to the 2.5i's. Gas mileage wise it's only 2mpg less then my 6MT EJ253, telling me that if I had a traditional auto (not CVT), it would get similar to the 3.6r.

22 Ascent STOCK

Just filled up yesterday and calculated it out at 23.29MPG around town for ~355.2 miles. Dash indicator read 23.1MPG - close enough.

On stretches where I could get up to 55MPH and set the cruise, and set my B trip to zero, it was maintaining a steady 26-27MPG indicated

Gas light came on at 350 miles, and still had over 3 gals of gas in the tank when I pulled over shortly afterwards to fill-up. If I had pushed it, it would have been over 420 miles on the tank.

The BD GT averages about the same with the 5MT, but it takes a bit more accelerator to get it going and maintain steady-state. The 3.6 needs no such urging. :)

We'll be heading down to Florida next month, so we'll be able to do an 800 mile RT test. Hoping I can continue to find non-ethanol gas on the road.

Hey that's better then my around town! I got 18.25mpg around town (barely any 50+mph), for 310 miles, and that's with the wife driving most, so fairly light footed :).

Looking forward to the highway only mileage :).

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 weeks later...
Recent tank calc'd out to 23.7MPG - still on 93. Just switched to non-ethanol 87 to see if that makes any difference.

I definitely saw an MPG hit on mine going to 87, UNTIL I drove it enough for ECU to relearn some of the timing. Basically 87 gas made it pull way too much timing hurting economy and acceleration badly.

22 Ascent STOCK

So far, not much difference. Doesn't seem to pull as strongly on uphill merge ramos, but it's still learning the 87 values.

• 3 weeks later...
Now averaging 26.1 around town on 87 non-ethanol gas. She's reset her timing and stabilized from the 93. Seems pretty happy on the 87 NETH

I average 27 mpg with my '13 2.5i CVT on 20" wheels :rolleyes:

2013's 2.5i's are rated at 24/30 so 27mpg mixed is on par. The 2013 6MT are rated at 21/28 which is a hair better then my 2012 6MT (your DOHC motor is more efficient then my ancient EJ253).

Also SBT has a 6 cylinder, so it's rated at 17/25mpg, thus as you can see I'm curious on how much he's getting over EPA around town ;)

22 Ascent STOCK

It's all 45MPH and under, stop and go with brief periods of rural hills but steady state 45MPH up and down 500-750 foot elevation changes.

Will fill up tomorrow, and report back

Another thing I checked out is if you're in Sport mode, and shift, with the paddles to1st at a stop, it will lock the front and rear together 50/50, same with 2nd at a stop, just like the 4EATs, it will lock the front and rear together and start out in 2nd.

Starting in 2nd reduces the 3.6's heavy torque and makes it easier to get going in less than ideal road conditions. In either 1st or 2nd in Sport Mode, the logic holds the trans in that gear to near or at redline.

Snow predicted tonight. Will see how that turns out.

Edited by SBT

Did some elevation checks today, and it's more 750-1000' elevation changes. It's significant enough that the car will shift out of overdrive to keep the same speed.

Filled up this evening 87 Non-ETH. 26.3MPG indicated, the maths (426.5miles / 16.34gals = 26.1MPG. That puts the range at over 490 miles until empty, all else equal. I'm more than satisfied with that.

Right after fillup, found some flat-stretch with slight rolling bits that's a 55mph zone for a couple of miles. Reset the MPG and was clicking along at 29.3MPG at 60mph.

The one recent freeway MPG check, right after we changed from 93 ETH to 87 Non-ETH, was on a long trip stretch of large rolling hills freeway and it was averaging nearly 29mpg at 75MPH on cruise. I could likely do better without cruise, but I always use cruise on the highway, so that's a good real world check for me.

Oh, and EYESIGHT will keep you from accidentally running into your garage door... bonus! :)