LegacyGT.com

front defoger/defroster blows warm air

Glenn

Uh, yeah, my car is constantly switching between cool and hot air, seriously, with the A/C! Especially on hot days, she's blowing warm air at my face, and i'm sweating as i'm looking at the center module that tells me i'm blowing A/C. What is the problem with that? Do other people have the same problem? Motor Trend said their A/C didn't work that well either...

Uh, yeah, my car is constantly switching between cool and hot air, seriously, with the A/C! Especially on hot days, she's blowing warm air at my face, and i'm sweating as i'm looking at the center module that tells me i'm blowing A/C. What is the problem with that? Do other people have the same problem? Motor Trend said their A/C didn't work that well either...

My A/C works fine though the vents, it only blows hot air through the defroster vents while in defrost/defog mode with A/C on on hot humid days. As soon as I turn back to normal A/C its fine again. Something obviously with the defroster--which I'm having SOA and its engineers investigate.

I believe I remember a while back guys were getting the same problem you described. I believe their A/C system was "overcharged" and the dealer repressurized the system. Of course this was a while ago and my memory is a little fuzzy on this so perhaps someone else can chime in on this one.

My A/C works fine though the vents, it only blows hot air through the defroster vents while in defrost/defog mode with A/C on on hot humid days. As soon as I turn back to normal A/C its fine again. Something obviously with the defroster--which I'm having SOA and its engineers investigate.

Mine does the exact same thing. Nice and cold until you switch it to defrost and then it blows luke-warm even though I never touched the temperature controls. It's really annoying on warm and humid, rainy days when I need the defrosters but don't want warm air.

What's up with that?!?

• 1 year later...
One thing i figured out in the meantime (was going to ask my dealer about it too) but anywhoo if you change the fan mode to bi-level (where you see the defroster icon and the foot icon) it will blow cool air
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I called my Subaru dealer today and he tested this on a new 06 LGT and he said the same thing happens. I also had my brother test this on his 05 Impreza 2.5RS and has the same issue. The dealer said this is normal because the warm air allows the window to defog fast without it fogging on the outside as it does with cold air. I don't know, I think on a hot humid day (like it has been in PA) it is a little ridiculous.

• 4 years later...
Reviving an old, old thread. Mine used to blow cold air through all the appropriate vents when the front defroster button is pushed. However, since we moved to South Carolina, everytime I use the front defroster (even when the outside temp is 80+*) I now get warm air. Like gfxdave99 said above, you can change it to the foot/defrost mode and it blows cold air, to the point where it frosts up the lower part of the windshield (and your feet too). Any ideas whether this is an ECU-driven (environmentally-related) issue or something electronically has changed in the air delivery mechanism, i.e., the heater valve on the HVAC is out of whack with the dash settings.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 years later...

Re-reviving this thread. I now believe that the AC/Heater ECU (separate from the ECM) may have gotten borked when my buddy was helping to jump my car when my battery was dead and he momentarily crossed the terminals which blew the AC ECU.

I know it worked correctly at one point, but think it's related to the battery incident since the FSM indicates that if it's blowing warm air from the defroster with the temp set to low, that there is an issue with the AC ECU. And, AIR, this started right after the battery incident. Going to try to find a good used one and swap it out to see if it fixes the issue.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
Reviving this thread for the 4th time, I have the exact same issues and it’s incredibly annoying. Even in Bi-level mode it eventually begins to blow warm air. I’d prefer not to have my feet cold when it does actually blow cold though.

Archived