LegacyGT.com

Is my car working correctly? CVT & AWD failure inside

Hey all,

Long time Subaru driver, first time posting on this forum. I have a really odd problem or maybe no problem at all. First, my CVT is trash, it's left me stranded (Jan. 19 2019 - wouldn't move in drive) delays shifts and does weird hanging in gears and all that fun documented stuff. (Local dealer has told me twice they see no issues)

Now my car is driving like it's a FWD car. Normally I have winter tires on my car this time of year, but I’m a bit behind this year and I am noticing I don't have AWD any more. Is mechanical AWD not a thing on these? I'm I doing something wrong?

I'll link a quick video I made slipping on the snow/ice (

)

More info:

'16 2.5 limited - 66k - traction control off - no CEL or any odd noises - the dealer had it on a lift today and said the AWD system is spinning fine.

thanks in advance for your input,

-Thomas

Hey all,

Long time Subaru driver, first time posting on this forum. I have a really odd problem or maybe no problem at all. First, my CVT is trash, it's left me stranded (Jan. 19 2019 - wouldn't move in drive) delays shifts and does weird hanging in gears and all that fun documented stuff. (Local dealer has told me twice they see no issues)

Now my car is driving like it's a FWD car. Normally I have winter tires on my car this time of year, but I’m a bit behind this year and I am noticing I don't have AWD any more. Is mechanical AWD not a thing on these? I'm I doing something wrong?

I'll link a quick video I made slipping on the snow/ice (

)

More info:

'16 2.5 limited - 66k - traction control off - no CEL or any odd noises - the dealer had it on a lift today and said the AWD system is spinning fine.

thanks in advance for your input,

-Thomas

Why is your traction control off? Next research another dealer close to you and have them test drive it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Traction control is off because it was the clearest way to illustrate my point (I don't drive this way unless i have to climb our alley after a snow).

I assume it does it with traction on because of how much it's been triggering traction control to turn on, but i'll test again and report.

My current setup is stock goodyears with 8/32" - 4/32".

Ok, i understand that my tread isn't ideal/safe/etc. i am more concerned that the rear wheels aren't spinning in my symmetrical AWD vehicle. Is there a link to those two? I know subarus need to have similarly worn tread for the diffs/AWD, but I've never heard of my specific issue where the rear wheel stops spinning with no indication of a problem. (I'm starting to think there's an issue with my "multi-plate clutch pack") Next closest dealer is an hour plus away, that might be my next step.

Ok, i understand that my tread isn't ideal/safe/etc. i am more concerned that the rear wheels aren't spinning in my symmetrical AWD vehicle. Is there a link to those two? I know subarus need to have similarly worn tread for the diffs/AWD, but I've never heard of my specific issue where the rear wheel stops spinning with no indication of a problem. (I'm starting to think there's an issue with my "multi-plate clutch pack") Next closest dealer is an hour plus away, that might be my next step.
In the older Automatic AWD Setups the Fronts would spin a bit before the center diff would engage the rears, So possibly with this new technology it might work the same way..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Traction control is off because it was the clearest way to illustrate my point (I don't drive this way unless i have to climb our alley after a snow).

I assume it does it with traction on because of how much it's been triggering traction control to turn on, but i'll test again and report.

My current setup is stock goodyears with 8/32" - 4/32".

if I am not mistaken, your tire size difference is out of spec for Subaru AWD. should be no more than 2/32 difference...

Put some good tires on the car and rotate them every other oil change at a minimum, also newer FB flat 4 Subaru Legacy are heavily biased FWD in normal driving like 80/20 split

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

Ok, i understand that my tread isn't ideal/safe/etc. i am more concerned that the rear wheels aren't spinning in my symmetrical AWD vehicle. Next closest dealer is an hour plus away, that might be my next step.

I think it is very clear in your video the rear wheels aren't starting to spin. If you believe this is an issue with the CVT then I would say take it to the next Subaru dealer despite the distance. If it is not an issue with the CVT then you won't be under warranty for the repairs so it might be worth it to look into a local independent shop you trust for a quote to repair.

If Subaru wanted to be strict with their rules, they could probably deny a warranty claim if it is CVT related as your tires fall well out of tolerance if there is a 4/32nd variance across the car.

If all else fails, call Subaru customer service. With your video documentation of the issue, I think they would be willing to work with you and the dealer to confirm the vehicle has nothing (or something) wrong with it and not just the dealer refusing to do the work.