LegacyGT.com

New STI to get 400hp from 2.4DIT?

Reading rumors such as this:

https://www.motor1.com/news/400337/subaru-wrx-sti-horsepower-rumor/

Everyone was saying for few years now that current EJ25 in not up to the competition. I am just not sure the 2.4DIT has the capacity to push 30%-40% more power reliably. In Ascent the same engine is rated at 275hp on regular fuel, idk if switching to premium for example and adding better heads and bigger turbo will get STI to 400hp stock.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Reading rumors such as this:

https://www.motor1.com/news/400337/subaru-wrx-sti-horsepower-rumor/

Everyone was saying for few years now that current EJ25 in not up to the competition. I am just not sure the 2.4DIT has the capacity to push 30%-40% more power reliably. In Ascent the same engine is rated at 275hp on regular fuel, idk if switching to premium for example and adding better heads and bigger turbo will get STI to 400hp stock.

Your kidding right? The FA20 can get to 400 hp stock with a bigger turbo, you don't need better heads for that much power. A bigger turbo and intercooler are probably all you need along with 93 octane. The STI will probably get forged internals I would expect and some pretty STI bits. I think you are seriously selling the engine short of what it can produce with the correct supporting mods.

And then there is this swap:

I am just wondering what the reliability of that will be. Granted technology is moving forward but squeezing ~200hp from a liter of displacement. STI is rumored to get forged internals but still.

The swap looks impressive, I am happy to see people doing that. Subscribed to their channel, interested if they will share the budget for the swap.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

The WRX and STi guys have been doing this for years with aftermarket bolt on's. I built my EJ257 with forged pistons and rods and make 400whp all day on 93. Been doing it for 25k and every time I drive the car it sees full boost at some point or another. It's absolutely possible and you can have longevity with it too... Subaru just needs to make some changes with internals, and more than likely add a bigger turbo.

Heck my wifes 2.0 FXT made 280 whp with a TMIC, charge pipe and EBCS. The biggest downfall the 2.0's had against them is making TQ too fast (when tuned aggressively) and bending rods causing the bearing to spin.

The FA24DIT is stout and on a VERY conservative tune in the Ascent platform. The EJ was a nice leap in engine performance (over the EA) and R&D opportunities for 30 years.

I think the engineering team will come with a tuned version of the 24DIT Kinda like Honda did with the Accord 2.0T and Type-R engines.

Ponder this, what if they secretly have been R&D-ing a FB25 DIT:eek:

• 4 weeks later...
Honestly, I think the EZ30 was a great engine and in very basic form it was at 256HP. A slightly more stout design could easily run at 350. Heck, isn't the dude from Finland with a supercharger on here? I forget.

Honestly, I think the EZ30 was a great engine and in very basic form it was at 256HP. A slightly more stout design could easily run at 350. Heck, isn't the dude from Finland with a supercharger on here? I forget.

Tomcat with the Rotrex superchargers. I think he actually had one per cylinder bank.

453747.png

Yes I meant from a Motorsports platform perspective. The market is pretty crowded and as more Cobb kiddies drop big money on mediocre mods the competition is catching up. American V8's are already better platforms for power, and miatas are still much more economical and outperform.

Just my opinion, but if the next gen Subaru isn't a step up, then I'm probably going to finish my classic Subaru and move on to an American V8 platform for more high horsepower reliability.

Yes I meant from a Motorsports platform perspective. The market is pretty crowded and as more Cobb kiddies drop big money on mediocre mods the competition is catching up. American V8's are already better platforms for power, and miatas are still much more economical and outperform.

Just my opinion, but if the next gen Subaru isn't a step up, then I'm probably going to finish my classic Subaru and move on to an American V8 platform for more high horsepower reliability.

Let's not forget, the AWD platform that makes these cars so great for a Winter time DD.

So there may be some redeeming factor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Let's not forget, the AWD platform that makes these cars so great for a Winter time DD.

So there may be some redeeming factor.

Of course! I just think the platform deserves so much more than to be relegated to a money flex.

Honda developed an entirely new flagship car stealing the Subaru styling it's so good. IMO the STI deserves more respect, and more horsepower, than the new Supra at least in the Type RA special edition.

Of course! I just think the platform deserves so much more than to be relegated to a money flex.

Honda developed an entirely new flagship car stealing the Subaru styling it's so good. IMO the STI deserves more respect, and more horsepower, than the new Supra at least in the Type RA special edition.

I think folks like you focus too much on numbers and not enough on actual performance. The STI is a rally bred car and you, for some reason, are attempting to pit it against a sport coupe and a club racer. Stock for stock the sti in almost any year wouldn't be far away from either of those cars on a track as well as dominating either on a rally course.

Honda developed an entirely new flagship car stealing the Subaru styling it's so good.

I assume your talking about the Civic Type R. Honda is selling about 4000 of those a year which is less than STI.

You are stuck on HP numbers.

Subaru WRX is a bargain and practically nothing competes with it if you want AWD. It has pretty good sales for what it is and imagine it is profitable. Subaru only has a few motors. FA/FB series motors, they aren't going create a completely different motor for one model. A 400hp FA24DIT is going to be pretty high strung for a production vehicle. I can see next STI coming in between the current 310hp and 341hp S209. I think the bigger question for the aftermarket crowd is how it responds to simple mods. The WRX FA20DIT seems to respond decently to mods. Hopefully the FA24DIT does as well.

I think Subaru invested a lot of money in these new platforms, so if this is the future of Subaru it isn't unusual to expect some level of advancement. I've driven the new STI Type RA, and I know what they cost. 400 horsepower isn't asking a lot. That's a damn fine car with a matching price tag!

How many cars that have 400hp from the factory have 2.4 liter of displacement or less?

Since there's a 600hp 2.0 liter engine then 400hp should be bread&butter level.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/is-koenigsegg-s-600hp-three-cylinder-engine-the-key-to-the-survival-of-the-internal-combustion-engine-ar187900.html

453747.png

A freevalve engine from a boutique manufacturer is a far cry from a mass produced engine selling more units in a month than Koenigsegg has sold in its lifetime.

A freevalve engine from a boutique manufacturer is a far cry from a mass produced engine selling more units in a month than Koenigsegg has sold in its lifetime.

You're right, but wouldn't it be grand if Subaru jumped into the new horespower wars?

What does the fa2.4dit weigh in comparison to ej25x? I hope the car doesn’t gain a few hundred pounds in exhange for a few dozen horsepower. No backup assist bs. No blind spot bs. No 19-speaker infotainment bs.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

A reverse camera is fine. The cameras for the adaptive cruise control/collision mitigation are fine for a daily driver, but can cause some annoyance for inspired driving.

If you can strip down all unnecessary weight you get more performance than a few more hp can give you. Lower fuel level can make a difference too as long as the system don't start to suck air.

453747.png