LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Just went and checked the alltrack out. Kinda plain to be honest. Feels cheap, but that feels like most VW's when it comes to their plastic interiors. The Passat sure was nice though

Really? Guess my beer standards are high, but my interior standards are low.

My friend got his 2019 6sp manual Alltrack for $22.2k + tax and license. Still cheap compared to what is available at that price?

yeah, 1.8T with a teeny tiny turbo (IS12). The GTI (IS20) and Golf R (IS38) turbos bolt on and APR has solid, well developed tunes (IS38 + DP 91). That's one thing that's really appealing to me: Because of parts standardization, if you stay with the recommended parts you'll get a factory like tune, and they'll be revisions as they fine tune the, er, finer points. Instead of a one off tune, with little attention to drivability and closed loop.

Was also checking all the HP/Torque numbers of almost all VW cars they have. It's interesting how the torque/HP numbers of the Golf R are not that high, and yet, that car is pretty quick. Curb weight similar to our car too. Gearbox must play a big role then.

Do you still own your outback?

Really? Guess my beer standards are high, but my interior standards are low.

My friend got his 2019 6sp manual Alltrack for $22.2k + tax and license. Still cheap compared to what is available at that price?

I agreed the 10grand price gap is appealing. If I backed off a few years like a 16-17 I can find a 3.6r for 25grand with less than 35k on one.

Reason I may be a bit more particular is the long drives I take. Those little extra things to keep me less distracted on my daily commute helps. Around 30k a year and drives from Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake, and back to Denver a few times a year adds up quick.

What's selling me is the fact we had that 18 rental and the 800 or so miles of driving through mtns and highway, interstate traffic I didn't have to really touch anything. Pretty much drove itself and warned me on lanes etc. I know alot of newer vehicles can do the same just seemed safer and my bias towards subaru

Was also checking all the HP/Torque numbers of almost all VW cars they have. It's interesting how the torque/HP numbers of the Golf R are not that high, and yet, that car is pretty quick. Curb weight similar to our car too. Gearbox must play a big role then.

The Golf R modify well, VW seemed to leave a lot on the table to tune. In stock form I don't think they are quicker than expected. In the STI, FoRS, Civic TypeR tests, the Golf R usually comes in last running near 14 1/4 miles, but with stage II mods they are running in the 11's.

2019 VW Golf Alltrack before they're all gone. Not bigger, but nearly the same inside including cargo, with some differences in H W L. Discounted to under $25k for S models, bigger discounts for the higher models (but from a higher MSRP of course). Available with 6 speed manual, or the very very good 6 speed paddle shift DSG. You might even find a brand new 2018, and get nearly $10k off sticker....

That is crazy that are being discounted that much. My ex-wife had a TDI Sportwagen and that car left a bad taste in my mouth about VW. I made out on the car from the buyback, but it had a lot issues in the 4 years of ownership and they started in the 1st year. A lot of problems with the car buggy electronics, electronic failure, jammed sunroof, not too mention the TDI issues, fuel filter clogged, IC intercooler, poor running on humid days and I think it had a crack DPF when it was bought back (soot on the rear bumper). I wasn't; the only one on the forums with these issues. It is too bad, I liked the car.

The Golf R modify well, VW seemed to leave a lot on the table to tune. In stock form I don't think they are quicker than expected. In the STI, FoRS, Civic TypeR tests, the Golf R usually comes in last running near 14 1/4 miles, but with stage II mods they are running in the 11's.

Yeah I've seen that. That's pretty good. Us stage 2 we are barely, what, 13.xx in the 1/4?

holy cow, i was "building" VW and Volvo wagons this morning and was looking over the specs for the Volvo V60 Cross Country, and they state that it has a 60 gallon fuel tank and has a max cargo capacity of 529 cubic feet!

Sure it costs $45k, but i could go 2 months without filling the tank and could fit TONS of stuff in it.

Sure, it'd cost $200 to fill the tank, and their 25mpg combined number must be with only a driver and an empty tank...

specs.pdf

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Yeah.

At first I was thinking that Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche wagons were all too $$ for me and what I need (and they still are, the XT is fine and "free"). But then I was looking up my wagon specs and saw that it was $30k new. Seems silly to only consider a car (VW Sportswagon) that is a proverbial step down in "luxury" (as quantified by sticker price, and I'm sure it's true).

Granted, the Volvo wouldn't be a modding car, and the VW could be. But I don't have time for that anymore...

Really, the allure of the Volvo is it's size, quietness (guessing here), and good looks (in a mature adult way). And the allure of the VW is innexpensive, moddable, 6 speed manual.

Thankfully I don't actually need a car.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *