LegacyGT.com

Driver Side Glass Rattles on 1999 Outback

After data mining for a few days I found this and thought I would post it here to hash it out before I take my door apart. Can anyone confirm this with 99-04 Outbacks?

"Pull your door card off. there are two 10mm bolt heads on top edge of the door. with the window up loosen these and move them slightly toward the glass and tighten them up. these are the glass stabilizers."

Apparently these bolt heads are holding the window in place. Anyone with experience doing this DIY fix?

It is confirmed, windows that rattle with the window controls flat on the panels NOT the arm rests is easy to do. There are two sliding fuzzy brackets that can be loosened with a 10mm bolt and then push the bracket towards the window with the window rolled up and while holding firm tighten back down. I went ahead and took the bolts out and put some blue loctite and put them back in and tightened them down good.

I did three doors in 30 minutes. This was for a 1999 Outback with the window control panel on the door panel itself, not on the armrest. I say this because all the video's on YouTube show doors with the window controls on the rest so no one has made a video on these.

The driver door has two screws to remove to get the panel off and one plastic plug. There is a phillips head screw at the door opening lever behind a plastic cover you have to remove another phillips head screw under the hand grab to close the door under a plastic cover and the plastic snap plug is on the right side midway that pops out with a flat head screw driver.

Once those are all removed, just start at one of the bottom corners and start popping the fixed plugs out pulling towards you and work them all out and then lift up allowing the door handle to slide out. You can unplug the two window controls and remove the panel completely or just hold it with your knee while you adjust the 10mm bolts right at the top of the door holding the window in place. I would pull the bolts and loctite them because they are easy to pull and put back in even while holding the panel.

The rear windows just have the two screws to remove, the handle screw and the door closing grab screw. All the panels require a little fiddling to get them back into place but nothing hard. A very easy fix for those rattling windows and it is likely the case with most subaru windows, with different screws to get to the door panel off.

• 1 month later...