LegacyGT.com

Strong electrical burning smell

Hello gang, I have a '97 GT 2.5 wagon (automatic), that has been running swimmingly but suddenly has been producing a strong seemingly electrical burning smell. I can smell it inside the cabin and in the engine compartment, and it appears more often at idle or low speed and engine temperature doesn't seem to matter. It is not constant, and sometimes goes away.

I had it 'round the local Subaru shop specializing in old timers, who took a quick run-through and couldn't find anything amiss other than the smell. The alternator, its belt, and battery were replaced in the spring and the mechanic said they test out normally on a voltmeter. It has no visible leaks nor is anything visibly amiss with the fuses, electrically powered items, etc. The brakes are fine and it isn't the tires rubbing on something. Engine temps are normal, it idles fine, and the radiator fans work as they should. I suppose it could be burning plastic on something.

I could swear the smell is strongest around the alternator, but other times I change my mind and can't tell where it is coming from or think it is coming from under or inside the dashboard. The wiring coming from the alternator and the rubber cap are normal.

The mechanic suggested continuing to drive it for a month or so and see if it goes away, especially as I haven't driven it on the highway since the smell started. The car is stock aside from the alarm having been disabled about 15 years ago and essentially any work done on it has been by Subaru mechanics so it has been well cared for.

Any ideas of where to look for such an issue? Obviously I don't want to be stranded somewhere or deal with an electrical fire, so maybe I should take the advice and just see if a weird smell on an old car just goes away? Thanks!

Carry an electrical rated fire extinguisher at all times. And remove any items you care about from the vehicle because you won't have time to rescue them if it starts to burn down. You'll need all your time to try to stop it. I'm not saying that is likely, but you'd be foolish not to be ready for it.

Get the end covers off the timing belt and see if a failed bearing in there is letting that belt rub on something. If it doesn't look perfect stop driving it or you'll be calling the junk yard.

Examine the exhaust from underneath and see if there are signs that something is getting on there and burning away. On Subarus pretty much anything that can leak gets on the exhaust and smells bad.

Also, check for a brake that is dragging sometimes. That can smell more like electrical than burning oils. If you have a touchless thermometer you can check to see if the front brakes are both the same temp.

Problems that involve burning smell don't really fix themselves. The drive it for a while advice is to balance on the edge of doing enough damage to show up the problem and wrecking something and costing a lot of money.

On the off chance you know someone with a FLIR camera, try to get them to help you see if there is anything abnormally hot.

Keep us posted on what you are finding.

Edited by doublechaz

Thank you very much! I got an electrically-rated fire extinguisher (all I could find was one rated to 1000 volts). I drove the car around for about 45 minutes today in a mix of stop and go and highway driving doing errands and except for two brief moments, did not smell anything inside the cabin. However, the smell was mildly evident in the engine bay. I sniffed the front brakes and didn't smell anything nor were they unusually warm. I'll take a look at the timing belt bearing tomorrow; the timing belt and bearing were replaced in 2012.

To be continued!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The "issue" has likely identified itself. The burning electrical smell inside the passenger compartment had largely gone away despite driving it for a few weeks for several hours each week, and I could smell it if I opened the hood. However, now the car won't start. The lights all come on brightly and I hear clicking and what I think is the fuel pump spool up, but no crank/turnover.

I need to buy a multimeter to check fuses, but at first blush are there usual suspects I can take a look at? I am thinking starter motor or solenoid?

Separate funny story - I bought some coolant at the local Subaru dealer in Bern and they said I was literally the first person who had ever done so and it took 30 minutes to figure out how to actually sell it to me.

• 3 weeks later...

2nd Update: Everything checked out on the multimeter, and of course the car started immediately when the tow truck showed up! I don't speak the local dialect of German here well so I am not 100% sure I understand the mechanic (authorized Subaru of Switzerland shop) perfectly, but after a long search he found what I understood to be a burned-through cable in the charging system. He is currently replacing the cable and trying to trace the reason why.

It has never had electrical issues before and is well-maintained, so I am hoping he finds the source relatively easily! On the above timing-belt question - everything appears in order.

Thanks all!

• 3 months later...
3rd Update: Fixed! A second new battery died and intermittent start problems returned. A fourth trip to the local mechanic revealed the replaced wiring was starting to burn through. He replaced the "new" alternator and all the issues appear to have disappeared. Switzerland does not have any consumer protection laws per se, so I am working through the warranty process on the batteries and alternator - I am 50/50 on that being a success. Any, thank you folks!