LegacyGT.com

Antifreeze recommendation

I used Pentofrost Asian blue on the Outback when I had the timing belt changed 3 yrs ago. But I noticed Advance Auto has this:

11046680_zrx_675130_pri_larg.jpg

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/zerex-asian-vehicle-red-50-50-ready-to-use-antifreeze-coolant-1-gallon-675130/11046680-P?navigationPath=L1*14924%7CL2*15037%7CL3*16110

This should be fine for the GT shouldn't it?

If not, should I go OEM?

I used Pentofrost Asian blue on the Outback when I had the timing belt changed 3 yrs ago. But I noticed Advance Auto has this:

11046680_zrx_675130_pri_larg.jpg

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/zerex-asian-vehicle-red-50-50-ready-to-use-antifreeze-coolant-1-gallon-675130/11046680-P?navigationPath=L1*14924%7CL2*15037%7CL3*16110

This should be fine for the GT shouldn't it?

If not, should I go OEM?

As long as it's safe for aluminum, you should be good. I used Prestone. No issues yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP - The coolant you linked is red. Not sure if you are going for that particular type of coolant but I will tell you from experience, you do not want to mix colors. If you have blue in your engine now, make sure you a purchasing blue at that parts store.

the mixing issue comes when you mix dexcool (which is reddish orange) with a conventional coolant.

This statement is not entirely true.

Mixing coolants of different colors is not a good idea. It's that simple.

This statement is not entirely true.

Mixing coolants of different colors is not a good idea. It's that simple.

No, it's not.

ethylene glycol coolants that don't have the dexcool additive package are compatible with one another. Toyota colors theirs red, Honda and Subaru color theirs blue, and most of the non-OEM stuff is green. There are some coolants that aren't good for particular cars (e.g., silicate bearing coolants) but the dye used to color the coolant does not impart an incompatibility.

For Subaru, you want a non-silicate, ethylene glycol based coolant that doesn't have the dex cool additive package (the organic acid mixture used in dexcool can gel with the inorganic acid mixtures used in many coolants)