LegacyGT.com

Official Interest In COBB Flex-Fuel for the Legacy GT Platform - Please speak up

cryo

I sure hope not. I have a decently modified 5eat and would love to be able to benefit from advantages this kit will have to offer.
Apparently, merchgod's word is more or less "official" Cobb - see earlier in this thread - and he said MT only. I heard earlier from a tuner who works with Cobb who thought they would do both MT and AT. Of course, the other question is about RT tables in Cobb vs EcuTek vs. open source for the 5EAT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put me in the list. 05 Legacy GT MT

I talked to cobb and they said "At this time we are still working on Flex Fuel support for that vehicle" (I asked about 05-07) but they don't have an ETA...

Edited by cpx4656

Nothing's changed as far as vehicle support I mentioned previously:

05-09 LGT/OBXT manual transmission only

10-12 LGT

Development is complete and it is well into the testing phase. However, a few things have to come first before LGT/OBXT CCF can be released:

1. There's a big internal update to the Accesstuner software (called HL) that's already in the pipeline and has to be finished and released first.

2. Our existing FF hardware has to be modified for certain model years. Time on this one could be variable as you wait for parts from suppliers/etc. We don't plan to release without FF hardware support.

As far as auto tranny support, there's no plans for it at this time. Not ruled out in the future, however. Not my domain, but I would guess that how well the kits sell for the manual tranny vehicles and how many requests we receive from individual customers and protuners for auto tranny support will play a big role into whether or not that becomes a reality in the future.

Merchgod, digging around in the ROM in IDA between the MT and AT cars there isn't any difference in the "code" portion. Just a few things differ in the actual "tune" portion. You obviously know this as you made the definitions for these cars back in your Romraider days.

In terms of engineering time, wouldn't this make supporting the AT cars trivial?

Nothing's changed as far as vehicle support I mentioned previously:

05-09 LGT/OBXT manual transmission only

10-12 LGT

Development is complete and it is well into the testing phase. However, a few things have to come first before LGT/OBXT CCF can be released:

1. There's a big internal update to the Accesstuner software (called HL) that's already in the pipeline and has to be finished and released first.

2. Our existing FF hardware has to be modified for certain model years. Time on this one could be variable as you wait for parts from suppliers/etc. We don't plan to release without FF hardware support.

As far as auto tranny support, there's no plans for it at this time. Not ruled out in the future, however. Not my domain, but I would guess that how well the kits sell for the manual tranny vehicles and how many requests we receive from individual customers and protuners for auto tranny support will play a big role into whether or not that becomes a reality in the future.

This post makes my peep tingle.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Merchgod, digging around in the ROM in IDA between the MT and AT cars there isn't any difference in the "code" portion. Just a few things differ in the actual "tune" portion. You obviously know this as you made the definitions for these cars back in your Romraider days.

In terms of engineering time, wouldn't this make supporting the AT cars trivial?

The process of adding the CCF features to an AT ROM would not be difficult in this case but there are a lot of other steps involved in a release of software (ATP and AT®) and hardware (AP) support including a lot of testing that goes into it especially when "new" ECUs are added. We want to make sure everything works seamlessly and avoid using our customers as effectively beta-testers. There's also a lot of different Subaru projects we have in mind that are much more highly demanded so that plays a big role in it as well (there's only so much time/resources).

I think there's a decent chance for AT LGT/OBXT support in the future if a lot of customers are reaching out to us and asking for it (especially after MT support is released). And I don't mean the same 3 dudes calling in once a week :)

Bummer - then the next question is will it be supported on all AP versions, or?

I was reading that the AP doesnt need plugged in 24/7, is that true for FF?

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Bummer - then the next question is will it be supported on all AP versions, or?

I was reading that the AP doesnt need plugged in 24/7, is that true for FF?

This will be V3 AP only. The V2 has been discontinued for some time now and has not received any new features/updates for quite a while.

All of our features are hard-coded to the ECU - once you've reflashed the map with the features, you never need to connect the AP unless you want to change to different map, uninstall the AP, or data log / view live data (such as monitoring your ethanol percentage).

This will be V3 AP only. The V2 has been discontinued for some time now and has not received any new features/updates for quite a while.

All of our features are hard-coded to the ECU - once you've reflashed the map with the features, you never need to connect the AP unless you want to change to different map, uninstall the AP, or data log / view live data (such as monitoring your ethanol percentage).

Thank you sir.

Kind of a bummer as that certainly adds to the cost, but hopefully there will be a supreme combo package deal that makes me forget about it. :p

And I know you dont want to use customers as beta-testers, but you're welcome to hire me as a beta-tester if that makes you feel better :lol:

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Glad to hear the updates. Bought an Accessport earlier this week in anticipation and preparation. Should get it tomorrow. Want to familiarize myself with Accesstuner software since I've been using open source. I have larger injectors, FMIC, VF52, etc., so I'll need to modify the FlexFuel maps to work with my setup (or bring it to a tuner:)).

Don't look forward to the $149 "training fee" for the Accesstuner software though after paying $650...

There are no ots flex fuel maps. All flex fuel maps are custom. Cobb software will supply the tables. I highly recommend finding a qualified pro tuner for you flex fuel tune.

I assumed it would have OTS map, I have the ots stage 2+ tune. Would the custom flex fuel tune work if you have a empty tank of 93 then fill it with e85 and the ecu adujust boost accordly or would i need to switch between 91 and e85 tunes each fill up?

I assumed it would have OTS map, I have the ots stage 2+ tune. Would the custom flex fuel tune work if you have a empty tank of 93 then fill it with e85 and the ecu adujust boost accordly or would i need to switch between 91 and e85 tunes each fill up?

The whole point of flex fuel is that the ecu can adjust to to any blend of gasoline and ethanol.

The way I understand it - there are two separate tunes one for 93 one for e85 (so you actually pay for two seperate dyno tunes) the ethanol sensor then reads fuel mixture and uses a series of reference tables to merge the tunes and adjust parameters for safety and performance.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Exciting! I currently have an e85 tune from sti mikey. But only ran 3 tanks since it fluctuates alot. Would I need a retune when the cobb ffk is released? Or is the map that was provided good enough?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

You have to switch out injectors. It's possible that Cobb releases a "OTS" if you have this exact selection of parts. But, I highly doubt it. and they probably wouldn't want to run the risk of providing an OTS map that customers would try and use and end up blowing up their cars.

Flexfuel is not cheap:

1. You need a Cobb V3 accessport

2. You need the Cobb hardware to read the E content

3. You need larger injectors - this alone would make an OTS tune not work

4. You need at least two Tunes

EDIT 5. Forgot fuel.

All in is probably close to $2k. Especially if you can't install the hardware itself. It's great that Cobb is doing this. But, it's not some magic cheap way to get more HP.

You have to pay to play.

Glad to hear the updates. Bought an Accessport earlier this week in anticipation and preparation. Should get it tomorrow. Want to familiarize myself with Accesstuner software since I've been using open source. I have larger injectors, FMIC, VF52, etc., so I'll need to modify the FlexFuel maps to work with my setup (or bring it to a tuner:)).

Don't look forward to the $149 "training fee" for the Accesstuner software though after paying $650...

$650 buys you the Cobb hardware and OTS tunes. It doesn't buy you access to **** with your software. $150 seems reasonable as a training fee / don't **** up your car fee. Don't modify your turbo car if you want to bitch about cost. It's all expensive and becomes more so as things start breaking. And things will start breaking on a 13 year old car.

Edited by Rhitter