LegacyGT.com

Installing LED high beams

i have installed some LEDs as high beams in my 012 legacy 2.5i prem. From what i've read no one is too big a fan of LEDs! but that aside i am using them to look nice as my DRLs and they wont blind anyone at night since they are just the high beams. So all this would be nice if they turned on, however they do not light up at all, but the indicator on my dash does when i put them on. They are supposed to be plug and play but obviously thats not the case. I used Auxito 9005 72w bulbs and im sure i plugged in the headlights correctly because the other lights work fine. Also might be useful to know i switched to all black housing headlights at the same time. (taking the bumper off was fun)

Anyone with knowledge of this out there, help would be appreciated!

Your DRL's are the high beams at a much reduced power so they only come one at a dimmer light. As I understand LED high beams they will not light up with the reduced power in the DRL circuit. Do the new LED's light up okay when you put the headlights "On" and flip them to high beam?

If not you have a problem other than the DRL situation. :(

Your DRL's are the high beams at a much reduced power so they only come one at a dimmer light. As I understand LED high beams they will not light up with the reduced power in the DRL circuit. Do the new LED's light up okay when you put the headlights "On" and flip them to high beam?

If not you have a problem other than the DRL situation. :(

they wont light at all, not with manually switching to them either.

thank you all for the reply's!

Agree with above, flip the connection and it will work. I am running them in my high beams. I disconnected the DRL plug because I do not like the look. However keep in mind that if you keep your DRL on with them, they will be very bright even during the day.

LEDs are your DRL is not really a good option as they will be almost as bright as when they are on. Most LED headlights are designed to run on 6-24V.

This would, IMHO be a much better option

https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-12824WLVWAC1-DayLight-Powered-Daytime/dp/B005DX6BKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1531744515&sr=8-2&keywords=phillips+drl+led+lights

You wouldn't think making a retrofit LED bulb that worked properly as a DRL would be that hard... most reviews show the high beams either flicker or work on something too close to full brightness.

Those Philips lights look interesting, but are a bit large - it looks like they had a smaller version (the DayLight 4 instead of the Daylight 8) but I haven't found them for sale anywhere

• 5 weeks later...

You could disable the DRL (They are called daytime running lights, so they should be off when you turn your park/low beam on i.e. DRL go off at night).

I have a MY10 with no factory DRL, threw some Diode Dynamics HB3/9005 bulbs in:

39349179_693991177611610_2576969094720913408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4dc532d0e8d552148f1b57c3fa76d307&oe=5BEF427F

37488544_1886871971374315_4885729292966690816_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bc62df0880dd61ac354a826325694b82&oe=5BF9A122

Pretty good replacements, I recommend them. That's OE HID low beam, colours don't match so I gave them to my brother, he has MY15 WRX with OE LED low beam so they match.

Diode Dynamic makes a 9005 LED Fog light bulb that I used as my DRL lights in 2013 Legacy 2.5i, I had a set of 4 year old VLED bulbs but one burned out after a few weeks. Plus they sat in a box for 2 years and might have got knocked around.

Get Diode Dynamic or VLED 9005 LEDS if you want them for DRL. People always ask if my car is new cause they see the crisp look of the LEDs from Diode Dynamic.

Do they run at reduced intensity as a DRL, or do you pretty much have your high beams on all the time? The diode dynamics website doesn't say

they are not High beam bright, because they are labeled a fog light. Also if you need you Hi's then this might not be for you. But my 13 Legacy looks great, and I could drive down the highway with them on at night cause the LED are so bright. DD makes the HP48 version which is nice.

If you turn on you Hi's then you get the full intensity, to me it looks very good.

Archived