LegacyGT.com

Oversize oil filter

There was guy on here recently who somehow managed to hit his filter on a curb, despite it being theoretically protected by the exhaust manifold & crosspipe, and he broke off the threading in the block. Big sad face. I think a longer filter will drastically increase the chances of one suffering this horrible fate.

I've never heard of oiling problems on these cars being tied to the small filters.

There was guy on here recently who somehow managed to hit his filter on a curb, despite it being theoretically protected by the exhaust manifold & crosspipe, and he broke off the threading in the block. Big sad face. I think a longer filter will drastically increase the chances of one suffering this horrible fate.

I've never heard of oiling problems on these cars being tied to the small filters.

Yeah, or don't drive over curbs.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Space is the limiting factor on these cars. Wider filter will be too close to the exhaust and a longer one is only going to gain a inch or 2 in length. Does the inch increase filtering surface area? Most likely. Does the bigger filter increase system capacity? Yes but minimally. If you are serious about added capacity and filtration then a remote mount filter or by-pass design are what’s needed. Adding capacity can also be achieved by installing an external oil cooler...

For what it's worth, whatever size you run, i'd highly suggest getting a filter with the 23psi bypass valve spec. Otherwise, unfiltered oil might just be completely bypassing the filter media. So you're running this filter with a higher capacity, but the filter starts letting unfiltered oil bypass the filter media at around 14psi instead of 20-23psi.

Is there any significant reason to use one of these larger filters over the OEM subaru one? Or is this just a "it makes me feel better" mod

More media leads to less pressure drop. Thus less likely for the bypass to open and more pressure to the parts you want to be oiled. You can also in theory run the filter longer before it’s “full”, but none of us are probably doing that. You also gain a tiny bit more oil capacity, which helps on oil lifespan.

Not that it will provide any significant operational improvement though if you were changing your oil on time.

Don't quote me on this but when I was looking for a bigger filter for my H6 all the info I found was people saying the H6 filter is the bigger filter and will fit on the H4.

So maybe the H6 part number will work. That way you can also stay with OEM filters.

Space is the limiting factor on these cars. Wider filter will be too close to the exhaust and a longer one is only going to gain a inch or 2 in length. Does the inch increase filtering surface area? Most likely. Does the bigger filter increase system capacity? Yes but minimally. If you are serious about added capacity and filtration then a remote mount filter or by-pass design are what’s needed. Adding capacity can also be achieved by installing an external oil cooler...

Put a filter combined with magnets on the return line from the turbo too.

453747.png

bypass valve pressure is so low on most filters that its laughable...especially when you consider the engine in my wrx makes about 80 psi at 2500 rpm....thats when the engine is at full operating temperature. When its cold its over 100psi. and no I am NOT running some stupid weight oil, just Rotella t-6 5-40

Archived