LegacyGT.com

Wheel / Tire issue - Offered help from SoA - What would you do?

I'll try and keep a long story short. TL;DR at bottom.

A while back I complained about what I thought might be a suspension issue. Turned out it was a bent rim causing quite a bit of vibration. Car was just purchased certified in January, and I didn't crash it into anything. Came with the bent rim. Dealer offered to help on purchase price, but then never returned my calls.

Purchased a refurbished OEM rim that turned out to be bent as well, just not as bad. Mostly balanced out.

All the while, a tire had a slow leak, also since purchase. Finally got it looked at and turned out the tire's bead was damaged, now running 1 different model tire with /at least/ 5000 miles less on it than other 3. Concerned about AWD / Front diff.

After emailing, Subaru of America had me get it checked out by a different dealer. They recommended 2 wheels and 2 tires to fix the issue properly. Total quote is $1400. SoA came back and said they would pay 50%.

Do I:

1. Don't do anything because it seems to drive fine and it's under warranty for another 40K miles (or 10/2020) anyway?

2. Go for the deal and get 2 new tires & 2 new wheels for the front, for ~$700

3. Do the deal + buy 2 more matching tires to have a completely new set all the way around?

4. Go aftermarket and buy 4 new wheels / tires so it's perfect, even though it will be more. (Double?)

5. Do the deal + double it so I pay $2100 but get all new OEM everything?

TL;DR Screwed up wheel & Tire, Subaru of America offered to cover $700 of $1400 quote to replace 2 wheels and 2 tires on front of car. What would you do?

Couple extra notes: The 3 matching tires are Kumho Ecsta 4x II's. The new non-matching 4th is a Kumho Ecsta 4x (NOT II)

Car has 62K miles on it. has 7yr/100k extended warranty.

I too would go with #3. I've had a set of each of those tires (II and not II) on different cars in my family, and neither of them lasted very long. The non-II's lasted about 4k on my awd volvo, and the II's lasted about 10k on a honda civic (with many rotations). This is not to mention the pitiful wet and snow traction (in my opinion) they offered.

4 matching tires, and better ones at that, should do you well.

Sorry, I forgot to say that the other 3 matching tires were brand new at purchase, so only had about 5-6K miles on them at the time the 4th needed replacing.

The dealer quote includes Bridgestone Turanzas @ $188/each.

I think this depends on where you live. Living in an area that sees a lot of snow compared to living in perpetual summer could influence your decision.

Personally, I deal with snow so I'd have Subaru replace the OEM wheels and tires. Then later, I'd buy an aftermarket set of tires in a size I really like and get new summer tires for those. Then I'd buy winter tires for the OEM rims.

If I lived in SoCal, I'd probably just go aftermarket and never look back.

Archived