LegacyGT.com

Replace HKS midpipe

Dbl_D718

I've got the HKS cat-back on my car and like it quite a bit, but every now and then I wish it was a little louder. The HKS midpipe is resonated so I was thinking about getting rid of the resonator. I don't want to cut the HKS piece though so I can swap back if I don't like the new sound.

Do different brand exhaust pieces typically bolt together? Anyone know of an unresonated midpipe that will bolt to the stock (actually Cobb) DP and to the HKS axle-back section?

I also considered finding an exhaust shop and having them "clone" the HKS piece without a resonator, but I don't know how realistic it is for Meineke to be able to do that.

Input?

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 1 month later...

So I know your post is almost two months ago at this point, but I do have some input.

I would agree with you about not wanting to hack up the HKS part. Without having someone measure though, I wouldn't count on any OTHER midpipe fitting the HKS "axle back" you'd have left. If the flange between the mid and the axle back is at the same place as the stocker, then you might be able to use a midpipe designed for the stock cans...

If it was me, I'd go with a custom fabbed midpipe. I used a performance shop I trust to weld up a complete manifold back for my old Celica, and it was significantly less cost than buying a name brand system. I went with a performance shop because they had the ability to mandrel bend the piping, which Monroe or Meineke wouldn't promise me (I think they would just crush bend - its cheaper). I don't know if that would be a problem in this case, I havent been able to study my LGT much since I got only a month ago - if there are no significant bends, it might not make a difference.

On another note, you say the HKS exhaust is quiet? Thats exactly what I'm looking for in an exhaust - a decent powerful sound when pushing the car, but rather tame while driving around otherwise... Sound like yours? Any drone?

The HKS isn't that quiet. It was too loud for me, so I sold it and put a stock catback on it with a cutout in the DP. Got $700 for it because they are hard to find now. Look towards borla or invidia q300 for a quieter option.

I second the idea of going to a performance shop for a custom mandrel bent midpipe. That way you could sell the HKS later on and get the full value.

Yeah the HKS is certainly not quiet. It's actually what I personally like for a daily driver, definitely noticeable but not obnoxious. It does drone on the highway though, not that I mind. If you're looking for quiet, the HKS is not a good choice.

I will not be cutting the original both because I want to be able to sell the complete HKS system when the time comes, and I would ideally like to be able to swap midpipes based on the sound I want.

Sometimes I just wish it was a little louder. I probably won't pursue this very soon. There's other parts I'd rather spend the money on right now.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived